mac or pc? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 19th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

mac or pc?

I currently own a Packard Bell Intel Pentium 2 400MHZ 8.4GB. Hardly suitable for video editing.

It is time for me to purchase a new computer. I want one with firewire and dvd-rw.

I hear "Final Cut Pro" is the best prosumer editing package and only available for MAC. Since the pentium 4 was aimed at DV editing I am wondering which of the two platforms is the one to go with?

Can someone recommend a set-up? I don't know about building my own and I've only looked in PC World for assistance.
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If I see another “Platform War” brake out IM going to loose all my freaking hair!!
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

walesfilmclub, try browsing in the DVInfo.net forums designated for Mac and PC editing, respectively, where you'll find all sorts of recommendations and opinions regarding members' favorite tools for editing.

Platform war type threads are typically locked just as a matter of course.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I'm not going to start the platform war by speaking the evils of M**in****, so I'll be diplomatic- A first!!!

Instead of looking in a PC or Mac magazine for an editing machine, look in DV magazine, or the like. There are hundreds of venders and lowlifes selling almost every configuration imaginable. They will also have articles and reviews on various hardware and software you might want.
Keith

K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #5
Zack Depagbilao

IMHO

im a newbie but MAC is a great help for starters in editing (for PRO also) just my 2 cents

PEACE
Old January 21st, 2003, 08:33 AM   #6
Rextilleon

I think what you need to do is pick your NLE before picking your platform---go demo a bunch of them---Vegas, Edition, Avid, FCP, Premiere, ULead etc. When you find the one you like, then pick the platform----Premiere and Avid run on both, Vegas runs only on a PC

What I am really saying is the platforms are all pretty good now.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:19 PM   #7
Major Player

The Pentium 4 was only aimed at DV editing from a marketing standpoint. It's not like they actually built it for video, they just decided to "sell" it for video use after the fact. The Athlon XP and MP processors are just as good if not better than the Intel one's under certain circumstances so it doesn't make a huge difference.

I own both systems but I prefer my Mac. As for trying out both, you would be hard pressed to find a computer with any PC editing software for demo use unless you went to a specific video VAR, then they would probably only have Media 100 and Avid and MAYBE Premier all of which run on both platforms. If you went to the Apple Store or a Comp USA you could try out FCP.

It is a hard question to answer without having a Platform WAR, which no-one is going to win. To tell you the truth, if I could I would build a screaming multi-processor system running Linux but there isn't any software for it. That way you could get the best of both worlds, the UNIX speed and stability of Mac OSX with the freedom of hardware of X86. (notice I didn't say Windows) The hardware is great, it's the OS I can't stand.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:22 PM   #8
Rextilleon

Rhett, you are confusing him---he can download demo verisons of Premiere, Vegas 4, Ulead etc---then he can go to his local apple store and play with FCP for an hour or two----Then he can make his choice-
Old January 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM   #9
Wrangler

Mac's are probably easier to learn on than a PC.
PC's are a lot cheaper.
An equivalent Mac editing system will probably be double the price of a PC one.

The high end PC editing programs are all around pretty much just as good as FCP, better in some aspects, not as good in others.

People place too much importance in having the best stuff. If you are good at what you do, you will have good results no matter what you use. Buy whatever you are comfortable with.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 06:36 PM   #10
Major Player

By downloading the Demo versions of these PC applications and trying them out on his 400Mhz Pentium 2, he will undoubtedly buy the Mac because he will be comparing software on outdated hardware vs. a brand new Mac. I was just trying to give him someplace to look for equal playing fields.
Sorry if it seemed confusing.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 07:59 PM   #11
Outer Circle

I decided the PC route. I'm building my own, and I'll be finished soon. Vegas Video, here I come!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 09:51 PM   #12
Rextilleon

Sorry Rhett----you are right---I didn't notice that he had a Pentium 2---forget about demos-------

Frank----you have made the right decision---I have spent the week playing with Vegas 4.0 beta and the thing is really incredible-----there is no doubt in my mind that this baby can be compared favorably with FCP and Avid---at about half the price---just an amazing piece of code.
Old January 21st, 2003, 10:28 PM   #13
Rextilleon

I was just thinking---you might take a trip down to one of the larger multi-NLE dealers and demo different hardware and software---On the east coast I know B&H has a pretty complete demoable (new word) selection and on the west coast I know that Promax does----I guess it depends upon where you live and what is close to you.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:28 AM   #14
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : Mac's are probably easier to learn on than a PC.
PC's are a lot cheaper.
An equivalent Mac editing system will probably be double the price of a PC one.

The high end PC editing programs are all around pretty much just as good as FCP, better in some aspects, not as good in others.

People place too much importance in having the best stuff. If you are good at what you do, you will have good results no matter what you use. Buy whatever you are comfortable with. -->>>

Dylan nailed it -- bottom line is it's not what ya got, it's how you use it. It's like that urban legend about the kid who learned to be a great shortstop by playing with his big brothers catchers mit. (ok it's a stretch, but you get my point)

I have a P4 2.0 that I run Premiere 6.5 on and basically do all my other stuff on as well ( email, docs, biz stuff... ) I also have a PowerMac Dual 1.25 that I have FCP 3 and DVD Studio Pro on. I like FCP a lot, and if I could have gotten it for a PC I never would have bought a Mac.

Daves suggestion is great - find a place you can actually sit at and play with different machines/software. I can't think of a better wat to be sure about spending money.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 02:11 PM   #15
Contributor

Don't get stuck in a platform war. Study the software you want to edit with and once you make a decision, then buy the hardware necessary to run it. We use Avid on Macs, but if you're working with Avid, the interface is practically the same on a PC or MAC and it really doesn't matter much which you have. FCP is probably equally as good, and cheaper...don't get bogged down in NLE software wars either.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC