DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   building a new editing pc - would like opinions.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/63507-building-new-editing-pc-would-like-opinions.html)

Mike Rinkunas March 22nd, 2006 06:39 PM

building a new editing pc - would like opinions....

Hey all,

i'm looking to build a new editing system since one of my pc's died and i'm down to a single computer. I'm currently running Premeire Pro however i'm looking to start working with AVID in the near future.

Let me know what you think of the following components - i already have disc drives and a case.

MoBo:
ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775)

Processor:
Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 800MHz FSB 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core Processor

RAM:
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Video Card:
eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT CO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Thanks,
~Mike

John Christensen March 22nd, 2006 08:54 PM

???

Just a thought, have you thought about using a dual-core Xeon processor? I hear that they have very good editing performance. I do not know how much this would set you back though. John Christensen

Mike Rinkunas March 22nd, 2006 09:11 PM

Didn't think about the dual xeon - just checked the price on that....ouch!

how much difference will one notice between choosing the dual xeon over the Intel 930 D?

~Mike

Pete Bauer March 22nd, 2006 10:11 PM

Mike,

Since I'm unwilling to wait for the Conroe and AM2 processors to come out, presumably around Q3 this year, I too am shopping for components to build a new system. My emphasis is HD, but no matter...there's no such thing as too fast a computer when it comes to rendering times, eh? Although it has a gamer slant, I check in at Tomshardware fairly regularly to see what's new in computer hardware but I'm far from an expert. So, I'll throw some thoughts out here to hopefully draw more comments from our computer expert members.

I'm under the impression that if you have to pick one component that is THE most important for editing and rendering, the processor is it. I'd rather put a larger proportion of the system cost into the processor. So I'll be getting a processor that is closer to the top of the line (although both AMD and Intel's very top of the line are excessively expensive at about $1100 street price). The current Athlons use DDR RAM, not DDR2, so for those of us getting 2-4GB of RAM, a little less cost will go into the RAM (and therefore more into a fast processor!). Toms has me pretty well convinced to finally try an AMD, probably the AMD X2 4800+ as the best bang for buck. The Pentium D 930 is certainly cheaper, but its raw performance is proportionally less.

I know nothing about Avid, but Adobe is now emphasizing OpenGL for PPro2 as well as AE7, with a clear nod to their "OpenHD" partner nVidia. The brand new 7900GTX is not on Adobe's OpenHD list yet, but I guess I'd be surprised if it didn't work with the apps. Or if there are hiccups, presumably a driver update would be along shortly. The 7800 is on the supported hardware "OpenHD" list, but is a slower card than the 7900 for as much or even more money at this point (the 7900 uses smaller die with FEWER transistors on a 90nm process instead of 130nm -- supposedly cheaper to produce even though much faster), so personally unless I hear something bad before I can get one, I think that's the card I'll get, too.

FWIW, if I were to go Intel again this time, the ASUS motherboard you mentioned is probably the one I'd get, too. Let's see if the really computer-savvy folks have any darts to throw at all this!

Raza Ahmad March 23rd, 2006 03:31 AM

mina

I'm building an editing/basic post machine too, I'm using dual opterons, 4gigs of ram, etc. etc.

My budget is around 3 grand not including monitors, which I already have.

My one recommendation for you, if you want to stick with pentium based architecture, is to go with a PCI express card that is either a Quadro or an ATI FireGL, since those are both more prosumer oriented cards, as opposed to the geforce, which is a gamers card....

AE7 has a recommended card list somewhere....

-raza

Aaron Winters March 23rd, 2006 08:42 PM

Upgrade your ram at the least. Wouldn't use an $80 tripod with a $3000 camera would ya? The 2GB is fine just a series a bit higher then the ValueSelect line.

Raza Ahmad March 23rd, 2006 09:28 PM

denno

2 gigs for a single processor on a machine that is gonna do primarily just editing work sounds OK to me...

more is better, unless its not, is my philosophy....

-raza

Glenn Chan March 23rd, 2006 10:29 PM

Just get normal RAM... the faster stuff (i.e. corsair twinX instead of value select) does little for video.

Memory latency is not very important for video.