The MS Vista OS---What Will It Have For HD Video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Major Player

The MS Vista OS---What Will It Have For HD Video?

Microsoft just announced that there will be some delay in delivering its already overdue new OS, called "Vista". However, by early next year, it may be up and working. They say that a couple of the 6 proposed versions of it will be oriented around video and other media. Does anyone have knowledge or predictions about what the implementation of this OS may offer to serious videomakers? It's described as having features to allow home recording and editing of HD video. Will home computers with the video versions of Vista in the $1K to $2K range, have a full set of DVI/HDMI, HD-component and FireWire ports built into them? And how about HD editing programs? Will they be the equivalent of the SD Windows Movie Maker or will they have more substantial options? Will the introduction of Vista essentially be a non-event for professionals and even semipros making HD video, as they would already have acquired computer-editing systems with even more advanced capabilities?

I heard that both the delay and the promise of advanced features in Vista has those in the computer industry worried about lost revenues in the next 9 months. They think that many potential buyers will hold off on purchases of currently-available systems. I believe this, as I was planning on buying an HDV-capable new computer this week, but will put this off, until the questions I asked above are answered.

If large numbers of typical home users get Vista computers and they do have good HD-video features, will many of them be applied to that specific purpose? I know several people who have computers with good SD-video functions, who never use them for much except E-Mail. Even a lot of them with camcorders have never captured or edited with their computers and seem bored when I suggest how they could do this. I'll bet that a lot of HDV camcorders, such as Sony's HC3, will be given as presents during the next holiday season. But, will many of them be used more than just occasionally? Will things be about the same for most of those who acquire the next generation of all types of home HD production equipment? I'm thinking about the millions of expensive pieces of exercise equipment that are sold every year. Surveys show that no more than about 15% of it is used regularly and more than half of it is never used.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC