Curious about Pinnacle's Studio 10.5 Titanium Version at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Curious about Pinnacle's Studio 10.5 Titanium Version

Hi,

I'm curious to know if anyone has info on Pinnacles Studio 10.5 Titanium Edition. From what I understand, it is more of a consumer NLE but with professional tools and can accept HDV.

Any thoughts on if it will work with the HD100U?

Thank you
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Lisa,

Not many of us have Studio 10. I have 9, but my Liquid editor does everything it will, with the exception of run extremely light on a laptop.

The original release did not spend enough time in quality control. I think 10.5 is a way to repackage it, make sure it works well out of the box, and rebrand it so that it catches the eyes of iPod and Sony PSP users as it has settings for generating those video formats. Considering it is built on Liquid now, it should be cutting edge for a consumer product. But, if you plan to use HDV, do read the system requirements on the side as it takes a strong video card to give good performance (the engine uses DirectX9 for both playback in realtime and rendering some effects.)
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Lisa:

I have Pinnacle 10.5. I have had a succession of the Pinnacle Editors over the years, and find them great for basic editing.

10.5 has native HDV editing capability, and actually runs pretty fast if your system is up to date. 10 actually runs on the Liquid engine. I'm running a dual core AMD 3800+, and I think there are some issues there, as I get an occasional crash, but in general, the editing is fairly easy to grasp, and the renders are good. I was trying to burn a DVD in DvArchitect Thursday, and could get it to do what I wanted, so I pulled the clips into Pinnacle, and managed to cobble together a quick menued DVD. The biggest limitation on the program is the number of video and sound tracks to edit in. For simple editing though, it works pretty nice.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Pinnacle

Hi,

Thank you both for the input. I've been using it for basic editing and the effects and transitions have been very nice. For now, I'm using a desktop that is pretty powerful. Have a new laptop that I have not added version 9 to yet that runs AMD Turion 64 bit.

I have a commercial to do and wondered if anyone has used the basic 9 version for spots. I would like to use the 9 to edit because it's just some simple shots, V.O. and music. I know 9 isn't the professional version compared to Liquid and other brands but it works had has professional features. I guess if I'm not using HDV for editing, I can get away with using 9 for this spot.

Let me know what types of projects you have been using 9 with. I've been using it for the media department at our church, putting video on the net and for editing special events.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Best,
Lisa
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:53 AM   #5
Trustee

My laptop is an A64 Athlon 3200+, and I have not found anything in standard def that it cannot do using Studio while running on battery. This last summer, I used it on the road with a drum corps. I would shoot the show, then run back to the bus, capture, clean, add a menu, and burn 1-4 DVDs (depending on time, I usually only had about 2 hrs).

As for 'pro' tools, no, it is not normal considered that. I do know folks that have used it successfully for years doing 'for hire' work. It is not as complete as other editors, but it will edit DV. That is what really counts.

Some sites with tips and tricks
http://www.mikeshaw.co.uk/
http://www.video777.com/tips.html
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Pinnacle Studio

Hi,

Thank you for the sites with the tips.

I've been happy with the 9 version. I heard there were people having trouble with the regular 10 version. I never upgraded and ecided to leave it alone. The 9 was working and didn't want to mess up a good thing.

The drum corp sounds interesting. I'm a drummer myself.

Thanks a bunch for your input and help.

Best,
Lisa
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Trustee

Lisa, I have a couple of cadences in the audio section of my site

http://www.versatilemediasolutions.com

Have fun.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I just did a 127 minute DVD with Studio 10 Plus, and it rendered and burned flawlessly in their DVD render program. In prior releases, I sometimes had trouble playing Pinnacle produced DVDs on my Sony DVD player, but this one played flawlessly.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM   #9
Major Player

your site

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ellis
Lisa, I have a couple of cadences in the audio section of my site

http://www.versatilemediasolutions.com

Have fun.

Hi,

Thank you for the link. I'm going to check it out.

Best,
Lisa
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Major Player

camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I just did a 127 minute DVD with Studio 10 Plus, and it rendered and burned flawlessly in their DVD render program. In prior releases, I sometimes had trouble playing Pinnacle produced DVDs on my Sony DVD player, but this one played flawlessly.
Hi ,

What type of camera are you capturing from? Good to hear the 10 plus version works. I'd like to upgrade to something so I can edit HDV. But it won't be any time soon.

I'm working on a commercial and going to use version 9. The main thing that I hope will come out ok is a title I have at the end with the typical address info. I have not used it for anything that aired, only internet broadcast and dvd so I am hoping it will look ok.

Thanks for the info.

Best,
Lisa
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett
Hi ,

What type of camera are you capturing from? Good to hear the 10 plus version works. I'd like to upgrade to something so I can edit HDV. But it won't be any time soon.

I'm working on a commercial and going to use version 9. The main thing that I hope will come out ok is a title I have at the end with the typical address info. I have not used it for anything that aired, only internet broadcast and dvd so I am hoping it will look ok.

Thanks for the info.

Best,
Lisa
I usually use an old Sharp DV Camera, can't remember the model, to capture DV, and only have FX1 for HDV. In the case of the DVD I just did, it was a 2 hour monologue shot by one family member, of a parent telling life stories. It was shot with Digital 8, and I used my old Digital8 cam to capture. Not problems with capture or render, or Encoding to DVD.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #12
Major Player

you may want to look at their web site. the studio 10 version has a lot of problems. returned mine after 2 month for a full refund.

http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read...onID=273&lng=1

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
you may want to look at their web site. the studio 10 version has a lot of problems. returned mine after 2 month for a full refund.

http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read...onID=273&lng=1

greetings
I agree that 10 has had its share of problems. However, it has been updated will continue to be updated, and Pinnacle has always been good about eventually resolving most problems. I ve seen this in 7 through 10 and even before. The other thing you must remember about the Pinnacle website is that it sells primarily at a consumer level, and the understanding of basic editing issues is often misunderstood there.

All that aside, I do have occasional crashes with mine, but when I restart, it goes back to where it was at the time of the crash, or at least very close. One problem I have is I tend to drag and expand time line a lot, and I really believe that while the program is updating the project constantly, the expansion of the project during that process seems to help cause a crash.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #14
Major Player

my daughter (13) is using 9 (we also had 8) and i got myself the liquid edition.

"understanding of basic editing issues is often misunderstood"

that's me...<G>

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
my daughter (13) is using 9 (we also had 8) and i got myself the liquid edition.

"understanding of basic editing issues is often misunderstood"

that's me...<G>

greetings
Karl, go to the Avid site. 7.1 Upgrader was released today. They have also added a Hollywood FX Pro unlock (Pro now free) and a series of Magic Bullet effects as part of Liquid.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC