capturing GL2 video to PC w/Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 5th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #1
Sean Deegan

capturing GL2 video to PC w/Premiere?

Newbie to the group asks;
Why does my GL2 video footage look great on TV, but when I attempt to capture the footage to my PC via firewire and Adobe Premiere, it looks either pixelated on elements on a diagonal line or shows offsetted lines (almost a poor fileds interpolation) in thin elements, such as tree limbs.

I've captured DV from other camera manufacturers before and have had no problems like this.

And I gotta say, Canon's suppport (or lack thereof) for transfering video to PC pretty much sucks. (NO DRIVERS!?!)

I'm capturing in Premiere using a DV capture format, in DV playback with lower fields (also tried upper fields and no fields. All with same results)

And before I go any further, my firewire card is OHCI compliant with current drivers.

Shot video on Sony DV tape in SP mode.

Maybe I'm doing something stupid, but have not found a way to get "clean" footage from my GL2 into a PC.

Any ideas?
recommend another program for capture?

signed
meseanny
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

You wouldn't actually be looking at the video on the computer screen, are you? Don't do that! There is a vast difference between video monitors (the common television set) and computer displays. DV from any camcorder seldom looks proper on a computer display. You must cable out to a video monitor, even if it's just a cheap TV, in order to properly evaluate the DV image.

If your intended use is indeed for final viewing on a computer display such as a web-ready video clip or a CD video, then you'll need to process the image so that it will look acceptable on a computer display, using Media Cleaner or similar software.

Using Windows XP, no drivers are required for the GL2. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #3
Sean Deegan

Chris,

This partially helps. I'm actually taking this video into Adobe After Effects, applying motion graphics to the video, then pushing the video back through the camera to analog. So unfortunately, I need to look at the video through the computer monitor.

If the video doesn't look clean when I'm treating it in After Effects, it'll look bad once I get it back up to analog.

I hadn't thought about Media Cleaner, though. Might try that.

One thing did occur to me, I might be having an issue of fields versus interlaced footage. Depending how the GL2 records the video, affects the final DV capture. If I'm not seeing it on the TV monitor, the field would be invisible, when I capture them with Premiere, the fields become visible, and no treatment to the fields in Premiere seem to help. It's almost as if the fields become flattened without being interpolated.

I'll give Media CLeaner a shot.
Thanks for the help.
Old February 5th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

I have responded to this under your other thread...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC