Editing HD Video on iBook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing HD Video on iBook

Does anyone know how iBooks handle HDV editing?

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Wrangler

it depends on the iBook. if you have one with the fastest G4 processor and maximum RAM, you should be able to edit HDV, but it will be a very sloooooow and painstaking process. for example, the iBook processor maxes out at 1.42 ghz and has "up to" 1.5 gb memory (meaning, you will still need a base memory upgrade). i edit HDV (output from an FX-1) currently on a 2ghz/2gb G5 processor, and all logging and capturing happens at 1/2 speed, not in real time. rendering is painfully slow, playback is stuttery, at times. but doable. you will probably have a similar experience with the fastest iBook.

the FX-1/iMac G5 combo was my interim solution to upgrading to support HDV. i have yet to encounter a client who needs or asks for anything i can't deliver faster with my XL2. so it was more about getting my ya-yas out about being able to work in HDV.

i'm waiting until more kinks are worked out to upgrade anything. Apple and the new line of HD cameras need to be more synchronous before i upgrade camera/hardware/software systems from what i have. because when i do, a new camera, an Intel-based Mac system, and software upgrades are going to set me back a pretty penny.

Mac's conversion to Intel probably had a lot to do with being able to support this new range of cameras at the middle end of their product line, which the older iBooks (and my older Powerbook) do not....

hope this helps....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
it depends on the iBook. if you have one with the fastest G4 processor and maximum RAM, you should be able to edit HDV, but it will be a very sloooooow and painstaking process. for example, the iBook processor maxes out at 1.42 ghz and has "up to" 1.5 gb memory (meaning, you will still need a base memory upgrade). i edit HDV (output from an FX-1) currently on a 2ghz/2gb G5 processor, and all logging and capturing happens at 1/2 speed, not in real time. rendering is painfully slow, playback is stuttery, at times. but doable. you will probably have a similar experience with the fastest iBook.

the FX-1/iMac G5 combo was my interim solution to upgrading to support HDV. i have yet to encounter a client who needs or asks for anything i can't deliver faster with my XL2. so it was more about getting my ya-yas out about being able to work in HDV.

i'm waiting until more kinks are worked out to upgrade anything. Apple and the new line of HD cameras need to be more synchronous before i upgrade camera/hardware/software systems from what i have. because when i do, a new camera, an Intel-based Mac system, and software upgrades are going to set me back a pretty penny.

Mac's conversion to Intel probably had a lot to do with being able to support this new range of cameras at the middle end of their product line, which the older iBooks (and my older Powerbook) do not....

hope this helps....

Hi Meryem,

Thanks alot for your helpful insights!!

Would you know whether the Apple Intel laptops are fully compatible with the Sony HVR-A1U which I would like to purchase?

If not, as an interim solution, I may get an iBook to use with my Canon Optura SD camcorder if Apple offers the iBooks for attractive discounts when the new Macbooks are launched this week.

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC