Do I need a fan on this video card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Wrangler

Do I need a fan on this video card?

Sorry if this question doesn't belong on this site, but I've tried to read PC forums and they drive me insane. So I'm asking my friends at DV Info. :)

I've acquired my son's old gaming computer as a second editing PC. It's got a GeForce4 video card in it with a fan that whines(d) like crazy. Last night I took it off the card and tried fixing it. I fixed it all right--it doesn't work anymore!

Now, if I edit with Vegas, which is software based, doesn't that mean the video card isn't being "taxed?" So, should it stay cool enough without a fan?
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Trustee

Dear Lorinda:

From what I've read, the video card is used every time you boot your computer because even Windows uses alot of graphics. It needs to be cooled just to run Windows. Things get incredibly toasty in the case. It might overheat without the fan. Tiger Direct has awesome deals on video cards.

Just my two cents. And I could be wrong. Hope this helps!
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks, Hugh! It's been running quite a while and I just felt the top of the card. Pretty warm, all right! Since it's also the PC I'm using right now, I guess I'd better turn it off before it
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Thanks, Hugh! It's been running quite a while and I just felt the top of the card. Pretty warm, all right! Since it's also the PC I'm using right now, I guess I'd better turn it off before it

Ha ha ...

Since the card is basically disposable, use the pc as a render farm until the card melts ... as long as the chassis fans are moving air, you should get a few weeks out of the card...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Major Player

A little clarification.

Vegas does not use the video card during rendering. The video card only creates images to be displayed on the monitor. If it's not on the monitor, it's not going through the video card.

Vegas uses the processor to render, and that's all.

With that said, your GF4 has two cooling componants and they depend on each other. There is an aluminum heatsink and a mounted fan. The fan needs to run to draw aur through the heatsink. If you don't have a fan, and you just let it roast, it may never die. But you will - if it gets too hot - get artifacts all over the place. You may get errors. This will be dependent on the heat in the case, and that's mainly generated by the processor. If the case has enough fans, then the card will stay cool, too.

Finally, you can add a new fan by popping off the old one (it's probably stuck on with glue or screws) and cheaply gluing on a new one. It's powered by two wires that plug back into the card.

Anyway, please don't just let it die. This is profoundly wasteful.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #6
Wrangler

Thanks, guys. D.J., I did try to affix a replacement fan that my friend gave me, but it didn't quite fit (the posts were too fat for the holes). Guess I should try to order the correct fan, although I should just check on the price of a new card, as well. Contrary to what I posted earlier (glad you got it, Jimmy :) the card has been working like a champ!
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Trustee

You can use a heatsink instead of a fan, though I do not know how much it would cost.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC