DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Best VCR or SVCR to use (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/6746-best-vcr-svcr-use.html)

Marty Markiewicz February 8th, 2003 08:28 AM

Best VCR or SVCR to use

Hi Guys.

I am looking for a quaility VCR or SVCR for my editing.
I shoot with a vx200 and am editing on a Casablanca Prestige.
Any suggestions on which brand and model would be appriciated!

Don Berube February 8th, 2003 09:15 AM

How much are you willing to spend? Will you be using the deck to make dubs? via standard VHS or S-VHS?

You might want to look into the JVC "combo" miniDV/ SVHS deck, which allows you to make extremely clean dubs to S-VHS off the heads from the miniDV deck section. I haven't bought one of these yet, but am considering it. Right now I have a higher end Mitsubishi S-VHS deck, cost me about $800 and it makes very nice recordings. The first thing it does when you insert a tape is that it aligns itself to the tape, maximizing its' recording capability.

If anyone is using a combo unit such as the one mentioned above, I would love to hear your input.

- don

Marty Markiewicz February 8th, 2003 09:38 AM

Hi Don,

Thanks for your imput.

I am recording my dv footage into the Prestige editor and then
taking the footage from the hard drive into the vcr.
So I guess I'm looking for the best quality picture. I don't know
if I need a svcr though.
Also the Prestige has a built in dvd recorder to burn dvds.

Do you know a good place to buys these vcrs?

Robert Knecht Schmidt February 8th, 2003 12:56 PM

In you haven't already, you can read my review of the JVC DVS2 MiniDV/SVHS deck. It's a fairly good deck, roughly $1000.

Zac Stein February 8th, 2003 07:19 PM

I have always heard that toshiba make some of the best vhs decks.

Zac

Mike Rehmus February 8th, 2003 10:00 PM

If you are serious about reliable recording, look at the industrial decks from Sony (or anyone else). They have much better transports and seem to do everything just a little bit better. Expect to pay around $500 for a Stereo HiFi VHS deck.

Or if you want a great S-VHS deck, take a look at the Sony SLV-R2100 at around $1200.

I have a pair of SLV-R1000's that a great but no longer made (even though you can still buy new ones)

Marty Markiewicz February 8th, 2003 10:08 PM

Thank you all for your advice!

Mike, where is the best place to get the svhs?
And can you record tapes in just vhs for people who
do not have a svhs deck?

Thanks again.

Zac Stein February 8th, 2003 10:18 PM

Also, don't foget to look at hospital grade vcrs as well. I have seen them around for $150 used and they are fantastic and really robust.

zac

Steve Thompson February 11th, 2003 12:05 PM

I use 6-JVC Consumer grade SVHS VCRs for duplication purposes. I only record in standard VHS but find that by using SVHS decks, the recording quality is better. Each deck was purchased for approx $130.

From my computer, my signal passes through a Panasonic AG-DV1000 Mini DV recorder and then is distributed to an Ocean Matrox 1x10 SVHS Distribution Amp. I previously used a JVC SR-VS10 combo mini dv & svhs deck but had terrible experience with my unit (severe dv pixelation).

RECOMMENDATION: Purchase the same brand of vcrs for all your duplication decks...by doing this, 1 remote will control all vcrs at the same time!

Jeff Chandler February 11th, 2003 01:27 PM

I would second the Sony SLV-R1000 if you can find one. I have had mine for 8 or 9 years and it has given great service. The only thing I have never liked about it is the jog shuttle.

Mike Rehmus February 11th, 2003 04:50 PM

The SLV-R2000 is the direct replacement for it. The 2100, though, is the same electronics with a much more rugged deck construction for around $200 more.

Yea, the deck control is real slow. I find it an agony to do an EDL with the deck.
That's one of the things that come with the pro decks. Darned near real-time response to the shuttle.

Marty Markiewicz February 11th, 2003 05:44 PM

Thanks Steve, I will take your advice!