Video Card Suggestions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 18th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #16
Trustee

If you are able, whenever possible, build your own machine.

PROS #1 You'll save money.
#2 You'll get a much better system for your buck
#3 Easier to upgrade
#4 Same or better warranties
#5 Way more options

CONS #1 No tech support (i.e. Dell support)
#2 Assembly

You may want to consider saving more money by purchasing that same video card, only pre-owned. As long as they (previous owner) didn't OC the heck out of it, it should work just like a new one.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner
If you are able, whenever possible, build your own machine.

PROS #1 You'll save money.
#2 You'll get a much better system for your buck
#3 Easier to upgrade
#4 Same or better warranties
#5 Way more options

CONS #1 No tech support (i.e. Dell support)
#2 Assembly

You may want to consider saving more money by purchasing that same video card, only pre-owned. As long as they (previous owner) didn't OC the heck out of it, it should work just like a new one.
Marco, I agree 100%. I'll be building my own very soon. As far as Cons go; Tech support, well if you can build it then tech support is irrelevant. You should be able to figure it out, especially with all the great forums out there to assist you if something comes up that baffles you. And assembly, that's the kicker, will take some time and some knowledge but as with anything in life, you can learn and it will prove to be more rewarding, at least thats my opinion.

As far as the card for my Dell 8250 that is editing only, I don't mind spending the $150 for the 6800. Should be fine, especially for the time being until I can build something mucho better. - Thanks!
Bill Schoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #18
Major Player

With a lot of tech support being farmed out overseas, you're better off puzzleing out bugs, imho. Just walking through query trees with a person who can barely stucture an English sentance makes me crazy.... English is the language of science and technology, and even with those for whom English is the mother tongue, technical concepts are difficult to render on the phone. So, I always build my own, I find the time because I believe in the process. My operation is not so big that I can't find two or three days to setup, load, and test out a system. And, you'll know more about your system in the end.

Another big plus is being able to hand pick componets. You mention drives, I've always had good luck with ibm/hitachi drives. If they go bad, they are usually faulty on arrival. I don't know if they are actually better, I just know my own experience, and I go way back to the days of buying an 80 meg scsi scsi quantum for $400.. or maybe it was $800, can't remember... My son is always shocked when I talk about computer hardware prices from 20 years ago... $800 for 5megs of ram anyone?
John Hartney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC