Analog Video Conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Analog Video Conversion

Ok, I'm looking for a decent analog video converter in a breakout box or pci card form that works with premiere 2.0 pro on the pc.

I looked a canopus box, but I really dont want to spend $400 on a single item for a small project.
Ryan Mellish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Check out Pinnacle and Dazzle products. Point is to get it to computer in editable format. So you want to be sure it will produce an .avi (preferably DV) file form maximum editability. Actually, a used Sony Digital 8 with pass through would work wonderfully.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
New Boot

ive seen the dazzle stuff, but its USB right?
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I use the Canopus ADVC-100. It works great. Allows for me to convert analog to digital via composite and or S-Video. Also - with Premiere Pro-2 you can use it as a digital to analog converter to a NTSC monitor from your timeline. I use an old Commodure 1702 (NTSC) monitor with a home made S-Video cable. Works slick.

The ADVC locks the audio in with the video very nicely. Accurate too. I don't think they make the ADVC-100 model. There are others (I think ADVC 150 or 200).

Good luck!

Tim
Tim Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mellish
ive seen the dazzle stuff, but its USB right?
Probably. I think Pinnacle bought Dazzle. Go to www.pinnaclesys.com to check out whats there. Some of the USB stuff won't capture a very high resolution file, so you will get what you are paying for.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
New Boot

yeah, dazzle and pinnacle are one in the same now. How about the canopus ADVC-55. And is canopus stuff always expensive, or is 220 overpriced?
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Ryan-

The ADVC-100 replacement is the 110. These are great units. Yes they are a little pricey... for sure. They are worh the doe if you have it to spend. Here is a 100 on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canopus-ADVC-100...QQcmdZViewItem

My 100 is almost two years old. It's been a real work horse.

Tim
Tim Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bickford

My 100 is almost two years old. It's been a real work horse.

Good things to say for the ADVC100 too. If you can get it in Ebay, do go for it. I am not sure later models are that good.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:37 PM   #9
New Boot

how about the PINNACLE STUDIO700PCI PCI? Seems cheaper, but is it inferior? Question 2, will it interface w/ pemiere?
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mellish
how about the PINNACLE STUDIO700PCI PCI? Seems cheaper, but is it inferior? Question 2, will it interface w/ pemiere?
Internal boards can be good and can be bad. One good thing on external boards, which is not usually mentioned, is that it uses an external supply. So it should be cleaner than all the analog stuff inside your PC.

Video and audio, as long as are analog signals, should be fed clean power supplies.

Having S-video inputs is usually a good sign. If you can use the Pinnacle to send quality video signals out is also good.

It should interface with the Premiere, but who knows?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC