color correction on sky at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
New Boot

color correction on sky

Hi,

I have a question. Let's say I have a shot of someone with the blue, sunny sky in the background and there's "enough" contrast between the blue and everything else. How would I go about color correcting the image so that the blue sky would be a "cloudier, grayish" sky...thus creating hte illusion that it's no longer a sunny day, but more or less a rainy day?

FYI - I have premiere and After effects

Thanks
Herman Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Trustee

You would use the secondary color to isolate the blue, then do what you want with it. Here is a tutorial.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM   #3
New Boot

I only have Premiere Pro 1.5, so I'm not sure if it has that feature. I haven't had much experience messing around with any of the RGB stuff or built in color correction plugins in Premiere, so if anyone can explain to me how it works, I would appreciate it.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Trustee

It should be available; secondary color correction is a pretty basic feature.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM   #5
New Boot

Would you happen to know of any other tutorials besides the one above? I'd like to know what I'm doing rather than just constantly messing around with it.

THanks
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think the secondary color correction is a feature only in Premiere Pro 2??? I don't remember seeing it in 1.5.

2- As far as figuring out what the secondary color corrector does, basically turn on the mask mode and play around with it. It can isolate color based on hue, saturation, luma, and or some combination of all three. *Premiere Pro's terminology is weird... I don't think they actually mean luma.

"Luma" is sort of like the black and white / brightness part of an image.

If you just isolate by one thing, you can see how it works. Using all three of hue, saturation, and luma will give you the most precise isolation.

In your case, you want to isolate the sky but not other colors in the image. So you don't want the color corrector affecting something like an almost-blue shirt that the talent is wearing.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC