Color Amid Black & White at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 18th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Amid Black & White

I was watching "Joe Millionaire" last night and there was a sequence where the girls were introduced to "Joe". The room and all the characters were black and white, but as each girl was introduced, she was the only colored object in the room. How was it done- Chroma key and something else?
George Brackett III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #2
Wrangler

I didn't watch Joe Millionaire, but the effect you described is done by keying using a travelling matte.

There used to be a good tutorial on this technique at:

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/index.htm

I just tried it, and the website appears to be down. Hopefully, it's just a temporary interruption.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Also without seeing the effect, I would say either After Effects or more likely Commotion Pro might have been involved. Colored elements in a decolored scene is a common rotoscoping job, which is what Commotion does.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I've done this effect a few times before. In After Effects I made a duplicate copy of the footage and made the lower one B&W and the top colour. My footage was of a Canadian flag that slowly turns to colour for a Remembrance Day video. I used Vector Paint to keyframe a matte on the coloured layer. Took awhile but it looked great!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC