DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Audio compression is such a pain, AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/71447-audio-compression-such-pain-aaaarrrrgggghhhh.html)

Jerome Niko July 13th, 2006 11:06 PM

Audio compression is such a pain, AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Hello everyone,

Well, I edit on Adobe Premiere 6.0 and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to compress audio in a more practical way. I shoot weddings and my projects tend to last about an hour and a half. I have lots of dynamic range in many sections with different video clips and Premiere does not allow me to compress the entire project unless I export the whole shabang first and then compress it all as one video clip. Please don't laugh at me but I've actually done the painstaking work of going through the entire project and manually adjusting the audio levels. Does anyone have any suggestions on what has worked for them regarding this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly folks, and keep shooting for the stars!!!!

~L.J.~

Glenn Chan July 14th, 2006 01:45 AM

1- In Premiere Pro, one way to do this would be:
Finish your edit.
Export an OMF into an audio app... i.e. Audition.
There you can apply a compressor/dynamics filter onto the master bus.
Adjust levels on individual clips if need be.
Export a .wav of the mixed audio back into PPro.

2- Some NLEs have good enough audio tools that you can stay within the application. Vegas is like this... I don't know if Premiere is like this. Avid/Pro Tools is definitely like that... because usually the task is split between a picture editor and a sound editor. But a lot of editors have to be a one-man army, so it'd be nice if you can do everything in one application.

3- Hey, I have to make obligatory Vegas envangelism posts. But really, a nice approach is to apply a compressor filter on the master bus... that way it is applied to everything. And then change individual clips if need be.

Henry Cho July 14th, 2006 08:56 AM

lars,

unfortunately, premiere 6 does not offer any way to do this easily. as glenn implied, you will have to export a mixdown once your edit is done, and open in a separate program or re-import into premiere.

premiere pro is far better suited for this. all you'd have to do is convert your timeline to a sequence and simply apply your compression to the sequence.

Jerome Niko July 15th, 2006 02:51 PM

Hi Henry and Glenn,

Well, I want to thank you both for your kind advice. I think I may have to settle for exporting the entire project and then importing it in another project and compressing it as one video clip. I think that more importantly, an upgrade to Adobe Premiere Pro is in order for me. Thanks again fellas. God Bless and take care.

~L.J.~