How to output Date/Time ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 1st, 2003, 08:50 AM   #1
New Boot

How to output Date/Time ...

If I play miniDV on camcorder, you can display Date/Time on screen when video were originally taken.

Now, if I capture miniDV from camcorder to PC (firewire) as AVI, I don't see Date/Time stamp on AVI file.

if I print AVI file back to camcoder from PC, I can see Date/Time on camcoder, but it will dsiplay current Date/Time, not original Date/Time.

My question is:

1)Is there way to display original Date/Time in AVI?
2)Does AVI contain Date/time information?

I am just taken family video. So Date/Time information is important for me.

My Spec:
Panasonic NV-MX5000 (Japanese version)
Sony Vaio PC + Windows XP (English)
Sofo VV4
Masaki  Kuraoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Major Player

On some cameras there's an option that 'burns' the date/time on to the footage you've shot, as opposed to just playing it back. Most people don't want date and time on the actual footage because it's there for good. If your camera doesn't have an option that puts the date and time right on the tape, just take the AVI into an NLE and add a title that shows the date and time you want.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 12:31 AM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

1) only using the analog OUTS ... not over 1394 ... so if you had analog video inputs on computer it would show visual all the time when you played the AVI

2) only the date and time it was created ( transferred to computer or any time you render a new clip ) and that you will only see on a computer under properties of clip ... not in the visual playback of clip

you could just BURN in/or overlay a date /time ( not continuous time) every now and then (?? 5 min or 10 min for 5 seconds ??) on your clips using your TEXT generator ...
you would have to get the date/time from the tape then look at time code on tape .. then go to that time code on AVI file and mark in the date/time
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:05 AM   #4
New Boot

If you can read Japanese, try "Area61 DV Video timer".
This free software allows you extract and overburn implanted date info from DV-AVI file.
http://www.area61.net/dvtimer/dvtimer-manual.htm

Russian made "DV Sub Maker" have intersting feature.
It also extracts date info and makes date subpicture data for DVD authoring program.
Unfortunately, it can process PAL DV only.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/dvsubmaker.html

You can burn timestamp/date manually with "AddFrameNumbers" plug-in for VirtualDub.
http://toonarchive.com/addframenumbers/
Masahiro Kikuchi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC