Premiere-video/audio problems while editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 4th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere-video/audio problems while editing

When I have a clip on the timeline in Premiere 6.5, if I hit <Enter> to start playing the clip, I get good quality video and audio in the Monitor window. All fine and good. But if I click on the <Play> button in the Monitor window to start playing the clip (instead of hitting Enter), I get blocky video (very jerky) and NO audio.

That doesn't seem right to me, but I suppose I could live with it if that's the way Premiere works. What I can't live with is that when I put the clip in a clip window for trimming, I get blocky video and NO audio when I click on the <Play> button in the clip window. Hitting <Enter> when I'm in the clip window has no effect whatsoever.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there audio preferences I need to set in a different way? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

That's really strange.. I've never heard of that happening before. This is a wild guess, but it sounds like it could be a video card problem, I don't know about the audio part though.

I don't know if you've ever experienced it, but sometimes the controls on the tops of windows (minimize, restore, fullscreen) will turn weird colours or disappear completely, replaced with grey blocks. It sounds like this could be a similar problem; playing video via a hotkey works fine, but when you try to use an object in the interface to play it, it screws up.

It wouldn't hurt updating your drivers for your video card.. and it would also help posting your computer specs so our crack team of technical wizards here can help you further :)
Old March 4th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Alex. I have already updated all my drivers. I didn't list my computer specs because I thought that since I was getting good audio and video hitting the Enter key, the problem would be internal to Premiere.

But here goes, just in case:

Dell Dimension 8250
Windows XP
1 GB RAM
2.40 GHZ Pentium IV
120 GB hard drive
GeForce4 MX 420 display card
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

If you need more info, please let me know.
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sometimes the gremlins work against you, and sometimes they work for you.

Now the program is working fine. I didn't do anything I hadn't already tried before--closed & re-opened the file, closed & re-opened Premiere, restarted the computer,... but now it works.

Maybe it's because I blinked 4 times and whistled.

Anyway, it works now, so no need for any more help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC