Tools or Techniques to repair a corrupt QT movie? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 25th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Tools or Techniques to repair a corrupt QT movie?

Anybody know of any tools (for the PC) that can repair corrupt QuickTime movies? There are tools available for AVI files but I have found none for QuickTime.

The file is a ~60GB 480/24P movie using the Blackmagic 8 bit (2 VUY) codec (version 4.9). It was originally created using on a system with QT v6.5 and was output from Premiere Pro v1.5.1. It played fine last week (and I was able to extract portions of it for further filtering). However, it has suddenly become unplayable. The hard drive shows no corruption and other QuickTime movies play fine. I also tried copying it to a new hard drive.

I have tried QuickTime v 6.5, v7x, QuickTime alternative, Premiere Pro, and Procoder. I get the error: "failed to render the file" from QuickTime.

I can re-render the file but I really would like to avoid it (long render with filters). I have used this format for a long time and never had problems.

Any ideas?
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Try VLC media player. It might offer to repair the file. It did for me on one or two AVI files.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; August 25th, 2006 at 07:15 PM.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried VLC and it doesn't give an error but it just moves the timeline along while nothing gets displayed. It looks like the file is bad. Oh well.

Thanks.
John McManimie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC