USB Hard disk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 26th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

USB Hard disk

I seem to have a little problem with a usb hard disk.

There were some files I transfered from a mac into the hard disk and when i plugged the drive into my laptop at home, my laptop detected it and installed the drivers. However, it didnt show up in My Computer.

So i format the free space and now I'm able to see it, but it's empty! Where were the files I needed? Did I delete them when I formatted it? I need those files for editing.
Zulkifli Yusof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Uh, if you formatted the disk, yes, you deleted them. Never format a disk that contains files you need unless you are absolutely certain the file system is corrupted beyond recovery.

That said, you might be able to recover your files using Active@ UNERASER. The company claims it can recover files from formatted hard drives.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; August 26th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Recovering lost data, thats half of my bread!
Here's the workflow:

1. disconnect this drive as fast as possible from anything what may write there.
2. install necessary software to Your computer(best IMO is R-studio, Easy Recovery isn't bad as well- but the best is have both installed because they recover bit different).
3. find free space(2x of recoverable data is ok). If it's necessarry buy another HDD.
4. test that installed software really works.
5. If Your HDD's hardware is ok then unmount it from usbbox and connect directly to Your pc. If there's a problem what could be solve with freezing HDD then let it be in box for sake of fast plug and unplug.
6. Boot it toghether(if usbbox then connect it when os is completely up). Avoid any automatic attempts to scandisk.
7. recover
8. start thinking of regular backup
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC