DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Which configuration is better, and...any suggest? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/74417-configuration-better-any-suggest.html)

Cesar Perez August 28th, 2006 02:47 PM

Which configuration is better, and...any suggest?

I'm trying to buy some cheap computer for editing with premiere pro....
There are two suggestions from two different shops:

P-IV 950 (2x3.4/4MB/V)
P-IV 775 ASUS P5LD2 i945
DIMM 1 GB DDR2 667MHZ
HD 80GB S-ATA 7200 RPM
HD 200GB 7200RPM S-ATA 8MB
S.B. X-FI XTREME MUSIC
LG GSA 4167B DVD_R/+R DL 16X
SVGA G_FORCE FX6600 512MB DDR PCI-E
FIREWIRE PCI 400MB
ANTEC SMARTPOWER 500W Price: 1080 Euros

or:

Dell Precision 390 - Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz,2MB Cache,1066MHz FSB)
2GB DDR2 667 ECC Dual Channel Memory (4x512MB)
160GB (7,200rpm) SATA2 Hard Drive 48X CDRW/DVD Drive
Cyberlink Software Decode v5.7
SATA No Raid 1 Hard Drive
750W-128MB nVidia Quadro FX550 (ELGA10) Graphics Card
Genuine Windows XP Pro SP2 Price: 1240 Euros

I'm very confused with all this new stuf....Also, still don't have any idea which monitor to buy. If somene can help me...thanx a lot....Cesar

Steven Davis August 28th, 2006 02:54 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/ may be a place to start. Duo cores would be a good bet in terms of processing, they're the latest and greatest for us 'non-Disney' people.

I would do builds and ask specific questions of the manufacture. For example, I just built a 2.0gz machine from HP, and the same machine in Dell would have been 500.00 bucks more. When it came to specific componant descriptions, I actually had to call Sony and Dell to find out models of things because the website did not list it.

Pay attention and research each componant such as the video card, processor, ram speed etc. Something I noticed atleast round where I live is that the local warehouse stores carry a lot of 'previous' model stuff, and there are limitations with what is available 'at the store.'

After months of looking, I finally decided to build an HP. The version I got also received a consumer reports best buy as well. My point is that user reports in a grand scale that favor or don't favor model, manufacture etc should also be taken into consideration.

And then there's budget, but I'm still researching what that is. :}

K. Forman August 28th, 2006 02:56 PM

You already have a PC, right? $150 or less gets you a new MB, another $150 gets you a decent processor. If you shop at NewEgg, or ZipZoomFly, or Tiger Dierect, you can usually pick up a great deal on a bundled MB with memory and processor for even less. So, for aroun $300, you have a newer, more powerful PC for about 1/3 the price.

Glenn Chan August 28th, 2006 03:14 PM

The problem with upgrading the motherboard is that you may need new RAM, a new video card, and a new PSU.

Check that your RAM and video card are compatible. Also, your PSU needs enough capacity to handle the new processor and video card. If you can upgrade, go for it.

Chris Barcellos August 28th, 2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
You already have a PC, right? $150 or less gets you a new MB, another $150 gets you a decent processor. If you shop at NewEgg, or ZipZoomFly, or Tiger Dierect, you can usually pick up a great deal on a bundled MB with memory and processor for even less. So, for aroun $300, you have a newer, more powerful PC for about 1/3 the price.

Don't forget operating system. When you go that far, chances are the XP (I assume that is what you are using) won't allow you to call it an upgrade, and you might be denied use of the existing operating system. It happened to me going from an AMD Athalon to a new motherboard with new Ram, and new dual core processor.

K. Forman August 28th, 2006 03:55 PM

I believe you can call microshaft, and they'll allow it once. I agree though, it is a P.I.T.A. that we shouldn't have to deal with.

Christopher Lefchik August 28th, 2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Don't forget operating system. When you go that far, chances are the XP (I assume that is what you are using) won't allow you to call it an upgrade, and you might be denied use of the existing operating system. It happened to me going from an AMD Athalon to a new motherboard with new Ram, and new dual core processor.

Unless the OS is tied to the specific computer/motherboard, as may be the case with some mass market computers, Windows XP shouldn't give you any trouble upgrading. If you do swap out the motherboard it will probably require a reactivation, but that should be it. In some circumstances it might think you installed it on a new computer and refuse to reactivate, but a quick call to Microsoft should clear things up (XP should give you the number to call).

K. Forman August 28th, 2006 04:08 PM

See? Told ya... ;)

Steven Davis August 30th, 2006 11:38 AM

I added a stick of ram in my machine, and I'll be darned, if I didn't have to reactivate........ I love the suffocating control of a monopoly.

Robert M Wright August 31st, 2006 12:03 PM

AMD has dropped the price on their X2s, to be competitive with the Conroes. At the new prices, they look like a pretty good bang for the buck. Either the AMD X2s or the Intel Conroes probably offer better value than the P4 duals.

Lawrence Spurgeon September 10th, 2006 02:02 AM

You do NOT want a Pentium IV. Bit like buying a horse after the car was invented. Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64 X2 - depending on price point.