MPG2 Export shuts down early at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 10th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #1
Major Player

MPG2 Export shuts down early

Overnight I tried exporting a 105 minute interview piece to MPEG-2, at CBR 5000, using the Canopus softMPG encoder within Premiere. The first attempt stalled at 39 minutes (of the piece) with an error message about increasing the page files(?-term may be incorrect - it was 2 am). I did as instructed. The second effort apparently stalled at 37 minutes, and must have crashed Premiere to the desktop because that's what I saw when I got up. The resulting file played fine for 15 minutes, then hung on one frame for a further 22 minutes. It was 1.37 GB in size.
This project is on a 120 GB LaCie external firewire drive, and has been successfully edited there including capture. The export was directed to the same drive. The system is a p4-1.8GHz with 512 MB of DDRSDRAM, Canopus DV Raptor, Premiere 6.02. I'm currently trying a 20 minute export to an internal video drive, to see if I can get past the 15 minutes that worked. Any thoughts are appreciated.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 06:38 AM   #2
Major Player

It's just possible that I've answered my own question. The 20 minute test, exported from the external firewire drive to an internal video drive, functions perfectly. I'm now encoding the entire project, and in about four hours and twenty minutes I'll know for sure if this does the trick.
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Major Player

No dice. The effort to encode the entire project quit at the same point, making the same file size. Only difference was this one had 16:18 of playable video before it hung on a frame for the remainder of the session, which ended as before with a crash to the desk top. Does the file size (1.37 GB) mean anything to anyone? It's no limit I've ever seen or heard of.
Old March 15th, 2003, 05:58 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

I'm thinking about power saving. Check whether something shuts-
down after that period of time. You can find power saving options
in your Control Panel.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

As suggested earlier make sure none of the "green" power features are enabled on your box at all.

I don't know if this will help but it sure helped in my setup with the MC MPEG codec. It would never finish a render at all. Would always mysteriously abort leaving no tracks or traces.

I found this in the Adobe forums, you can search on Prem60.ini and see if you get some hits. It may be specific to 6.5 but might be worth looking into.

One such hit is: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@73.muirawSvIal.3@.1de82939/0
There are many more that could be related.

In the Prem60.ini file the following is added......

[Override]
PreferDSCodecs=1

This solved my mysterious aborts and I haven't had a problem since. According to the forums, it doesn't appear to bother things even if you don't really need it. Might be worth a try.

Best of luck!
Rob Talley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks to Rob and Rob. My web pc has been down for nearly a week and I'm just reinstalling EVERYTHING this morning. I didn't solve the MPEG2 mystery but I did find a workaround. Export to DV, recapture in Raptor Video, seamlessly. Bring clips into Raptor Edit and export with the softMPG codec. The codec works twice as fast (not to mention working at all) in RapEdit as in Premiere 6.02, which makes the export to/capture from DV almost a wash in terms of time, and I coincidentally get my tape archive.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC