Putting together a mini-movie with dSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Putting together a mini-movie with dSLR

I know this is possible, I just can't figure it out on my own. Search didn't help much on this topic either.

I'd like to use my Canon 20D SLR camera to make a short 3-5 minute movie clip. What I can't figure out is how to shorten the length of each clip so it's 24 frames per second (give or take). I know it's going to take around 2000 clips for what I'm lookin' to do.

Any help with this is much appreciated. Any other advice with this topic is also welcomed.

thanks
Matt

Last edited by Matt Lomeli; September 27th, 2006 at 12:06 AM.
Matt Lomeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

EOS 20d bursts to make a movie

Many compact digital cameras make movie clips at 10 to 30 frames per second and store them as .mov or .mjpg files.

DPinfo.com does not indicate that your EOS 20d (or any other true DSLR) takes such clips. Were you intending to take multi-frame bursts to do the job? If so, I suspect you will have to deal with individual stills. Your D20 takes 5 per second, then each still should be set to cover 6 frames for 30fps video (NTSC-DV). Your can set the default still size to be 6 frames in preferences. (Note that a change in PPro requires you to exit the program and reenter to "stick"). Then alt-click in blocks of stills to the timeline, provided alpha order is the order you want them in the result.

Note that depending on your available RAM, the program may "stutter" previewing so many gigantic stills. Most of us make "proxies" beforehand of, say 1080x1920 (16:9) or 1440x1920 (4:3) to avoid this. You may be able to do this in some kind or batch process...or just set your camear to take them in, say, the 1600x1200 size. That should do for either standard definition or HD when the time comes.

Its worth a try!
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
DVi Contributor

they used canon DSLRs to do Tim Burtons corpse bride movie. maybe some info on that.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I'm planning on using the 5 frames per second to help. I'm not looking for it to be 100% smooth...otherwise I'd use my video camera. This would be more a creative movie type project.
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This might help you out:

http://www.izzyvideo.com/2006/08/13/...ame-animation/

Short vodcast and there are a few suggestions in the comments.
Old October 7th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Some great information in this thread-- Thank you!

I really like that link, Sheila---I didn't know you can do that with Quicktime Player to open an image sequence as a movie.

Awesome.

I remember someone mentioning this link here in DVinfo a while back.

http://patrykrebisz.com/films_between.html

It really inspires me.

The first time I viewed it had the shutter sound for a soundtrack[which I liked better] the new version has a polished soundtrack.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a Rebel XT, which shoots 3 frames per second. For a cool visual effect, I have shot ~5 second bursts, loaded thm into Ulead VIdeostudio to display for 1 second each, then accelerated the resulting clip by a factor of 3. Interesting stop-motion video that is very sharp.
Lawrence Spurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Here's my little experiment shooting with a Nikon D50 that I did today after reading this thread.

Here is the link to my little test:

http://chung123.googlepages.com/dslr6fpsqtmovie
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC