Low System Resources at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 29th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #1
New Boot

Low System Resources

Hi,

I use Premeire Pro 2.0. I have a Pentium D 3GHz with 3 gigs of RAM. Is there a setting in windows I need to change? I would think 3 gigs of RAM is plenty to use Premiere Pro, but I keep getting errors saying I have low system resources. All of my video files are kept on external drive - C: just has my programs on it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Major Player

If the external drives are connected through USB they need CPU power. In my case 16%/drive! Maybe this is your problem.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
New Boot

That is possible, I suppose. I have 2 external drives hooked up, but they both have power supplies that plug into the wall. Is there a way for me to know for sure if that is the problem?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Powering is not what consumes resourses. Try to put everything on the internal disk(s) and disconnect the external disks, and see if the problem still exists. If you have them connected by firewire they should not take up CPU resources.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

As a general advice, you need to turn off pretty much everything running in the background on a PC used for video editing. Videoguys.com has some good advice on how to exactly do this in WinXP.

Computers have become so inexpensive nowadays, it's worth buying (better yet, building) one dedicated exclusively to DV. Install XP, isntall drivers and the absolute minimum software you need for your jobs - you will be rewarded with a stable system.

I'm running APPRO, Encore, Audition, Photoshop - sometimes all at the same time and have no problems on an old 1.6 GHz/2 GB RAM AMD... they don't stall, they don't give me any issues at all!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC