surge protectors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 20th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #1
Major Player

surge protectors

I've been reading up on surge protectors, and it sounds like the best coverage is to have a "whole house" supressor and separate suppressor outlet strips.

But I notice that there are many different quality levels of strip protectors sold by the same company (Belkin as an example) - and the low priced one is said to be good for "entry level home computers", while the most expensive one is for "professional applications and work stations".

all of them provide varying "guarentees" to replace your computer up to a specified dollar amount. (can't find any info online about anyone ever collecting)

if they're really going to pay for a ruined computer, it seems like the inexpensive ones must work well enough. (?)

are they just hoping to get us to pay the higher price out of fear for our equipment?
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller???

here are a few links I found - but don't know how reliable the information is.

(the "howstuffworks" website has ads for surge protectors on the same page!)

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/safety_first/safety_surge.shtml

http://www.djsociety.org/Surge_1.htm

http://www.totse.com/en/technology/c...ogy/surge.html

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector6.htm

a few highlights:

Most point-of-use surge protectors use metal oxide varistors (MOV) as their primary protection component. Despite all its strengths, this inexpensive (15 cent) component wears out a little with each surge above a very modest threshold... a threshold that is exceeded many times a day in most environments.

Unfortunately, indicator lights purporting to show that protection is operational are not always reliable; in fact, those are sometimes wired across the power line and thus only indicates that the power line is live.

The assumption that higher priced surge protectors provide greater effectiveness and reliability is often not valid. Almost all surge suppressors priced under $200 rely on the same fundamental MOV components. Much of the supplementary circuitry is actually peripheral to the surge protection function, such as lights and switches, or it provides a minimal level of noise filtering that will be ineffectual in the face of an actual surge. Many users would be just as well served with a $3 hardware store MOV protector that they discard and replace periodically, as they would with an expensive protector using the same MOVs, which will also wear out.

Last edited by Robert Bobson; October 22nd, 2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:25 PM   #3
New Boot

been in the computer biz for about 36 years.....

maintained 85 pharmacy computer systems in three states, never had one knocked down by power(over 5 years). used tripplite surge protectorss and tripplite battery back ups.

do you live in a recently constructed house? for most of these things to work you need a ground that actually GROUNDS! many older buildings don't. you can get a ground tester at lowe's cheap.

I have built a new house for myself with 2 200amp services, both boxes have 65 dollar in box suppressors. got a direct lightning strike on the house, zapped my 36 inch sony and my cordless drill charger, AND the attached battery.

my advice--tripplite one piece battery backup and surge protector a little bit bigger than you need.
Jon Whiteford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks Jon ~

I actually went out and bought 2 of the silly looking Power Squid surge protectors yesterday. They're rated at 540 joules, which was the highest I could find at the office supply store.

I have my fingers crossed!
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #5
New Boot

Jules schmules....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson
thanks Jon ~

I actually went out and bought 2 of the silly looking Power Squid surge protectors yesterday. They're rated at 540 joules, which was the highest I could find at the office supply store.

I have my fingers crossed!
If the fire god wants it, the fire god will get it.

are you sure you have good grounds? a little thingy that plugs in and lights up if you have a good ground is really cheap. If you don't have a good ground, what are you going to dump the surge to?

some surge protectors will tell you if you don't have a good ground. don't know about squids tho, cute they are skywalker, but work they will?

Tripplite was in biz 20 years ago, still is.
Jon Whiteford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, the grounds are good - I DO have one of those outlet circuit checkers.

thanks for the response ~
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC