DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Monitor help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/7808-monitor-help.html)

Dane Studstill March 17th, 2003 02:10 PM

Monitor help

I just moved to window xp pro and am having problems using dual monitors with premiere. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hans Henrik Bang March 17th, 2003 03:21 PM

Dane, you are not giving us much information to work on.

Personally I can say that I use a GForce 4 Ti4200 card with video out. I use the Detonator 41.09 drivers, which are availiable for XP too. I set the companion program "NView" for video mirroring on 2nd device, and it works fine. During preview with Premiere I have the small window on the main monitor, and full screen video on my video monitor.

Hans Henrik

Dane Studstill March 17th, 2003 03:49 PM

I guess I was a little skimpy on information. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. I have my desktop on both monitors, and can drag icons from one monitor to the other. I can not extend the timeline or any window in premiere. I called premiere tech support and was told that it could not be done. I know that premiere can be used with 2 monitors I must be missing something simple.
Thanks for the quick response, maybe this additional info will allow someone to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Robert Poulton March 17th, 2003 04:22 PM

I have the 8500 128mb and I can have all the windows off to the side while I only have the timeline and video window on the other side.
Make sure that the check button in the montor prefs is checked to connect both windows then you maximize the premiere window to fit both windows. Remeber to drag the window to maximize it. That way you can have the timeline run across the whole screen if you wish.

Rob:D

Dane Studstill March 18th, 2003 08:02 AM

Thanks again for the response. I am still not getting premiere to extend to the second monitor. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hans Henrik Bang March 18th, 2003 09:27 AM

Sorry Dane. Cannot help then. My second monitor is a video monitor attached to video out on my Geforce, so fundamentally different from yours.

Good luck

Hans Henrik

Bill Ravens March 18th, 2003 10:08 AM

There are some significant changes to the latest Radeon Catalyst drivers, version 3.2. If all else fails, install the new drivers. Unfortunately, this isn't a trivial process.

Ed Smith March 18th, 2003 11:02 AM

This might sound silly but,

Click on the restore down button top right hand corner, in the middle of the exit and minimize button. Then click and drag on the left hand side of the frame (mouse should turn to a left and right arrow) all the way over to your second monitor.

Hope this might help, and makes sence,

Ed Smith

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 18th, 2003 11:26 AM

Ed's right--you can't just hit the maximize button and expect it to maximize to two screens. Maximize will take up one screen only.

Dane Studstill March 18th, 2003 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone! I was finally able to move the transition and audio palettes to the second monitor. I reinstalled the drivers one more time. I still can't get the time line to span both monitors. I guess this has something to do with the overlay having to be on the primary monitor. Thanks again.

Robert Poulton March 18th, 2003 05:40 PM

when I get home tonight I will double check and see if it at all possible. If so I'll let you know.

Rob:D

Trey Perrone March 28th, 2003 02:38 AM

uhh i can span any program across 3 monitors...no prob...Ed has the rite idea though. IF the program is already maximzed you cannot stretch it...in any adobe app i can drag it across as many monitors as i want.
1. make sure it is not maximized...can you manually drag the corner of the window on your screen to resize it on the primary monitor? once you can do that drag it across both screens, the timeline should follow. after getting your screens setup, make sure you save your workspace.
2. can you move your mouse over to that screen by going directly left(or rite)? you have to position the monitors correctly under display/settings.
3. the hydravision software for the ATI is pretty friggin good (IMO), if the above is functioning correctly, then it may be an issue in the hydravision settings!

Dane Studstill March 28th, 2003 07:30 AM

Trey,
Thanks for the help. I was trying to move the timeline by itself, without first resizing the whole adobe screen. I can now span the monitors. Thanks again.
Dane