DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   The kind of problem nerds fear (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/7880-kind-problem-nerds-fear.html)

Michael Shipe March 20th, 2003 10:43 AM

The kind of problem nerds fear

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200 with WinXP, a Cannon GL2, Centon USB2 PCMCIA card and western digital external HD. I've got the camera going through firewire and an external hard drive going through a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card.

Now, the project's on my local HD work fine going to and from the camera when the External Hard Drive is not plugged in.

And when the camera is not plugged in the projects on the external Hard drive work fine.

You guessed it, when both the external HD and the camera are plugged in at the same time, Premiere 6.5 refuses to play back. When I click on the timeline 5 seconds later the marker will go there. When I move my mouse over something, the curser will change after 5 seconds.

Now in my troubleshooting I've found that, if I have my project from the external HD playing and plug in my camera, the project will continue playing just fine. XP will bring up a window that says it detected a camera and asks what I want to do with it. Now the project will continue playing fine until I tell XP what to do with the camera.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Oh and I'll just mention I've gotten all the critical updates for XP.

Thanks a ton!

Lars Siden March 20th, 2003 12:25 PM

Hello Michael,

I have had similiar problems ( on an Inspiron 8100 desktop machine P4-1.5ghz). My soloution was:

1. Uninstalled Premiere
2. Installed the latest Chipset drivers for my Motherboard
3. Installed the latest/correct drivers for my Firewire controller ( windows xp choose VIA firewire, the correct one was Texas Instruments Firewire driver )
4. Reinstalled Premiere

And Violá - it worked!

Another idea could be to check your taskmanager-performance, both firewire and USB2 could be too much to handle for your computer. If it is a laptop, run on regular power, not battery! Check that the devices aren't automatically put in powersave mode. If you use Windows XP - make sure that you use ACPI PC as computer type in device manager, that should save you from IRQ conflicts.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Lars Siden

Stockholm, Sweden

Trey Perrone March 28th, 2003 02:27 AM

is your 1394 and USB2 sharing an IRQ...even though NT5 is sooooooo smart with IRQ sharing and steering tables....i still doubt it as i have had audio issues when my vid and audio shared the same IRQ...i was able to yank cards out (desktop). if you do remove then delete all files related to driver, as NT5 likes to keep a memory of devices and stick em back in the same spot.

could also just be software settings!

Michael Shipe March 28th, 2003 08:15 AM

Well, that was my first concern as I have about 7 things sharing IRQ 11 (listed below). From my pre-pnp days that screams all kinds of problems. But not knowing much about XP I cannot find a way to change an IRQ.

XP also has a utility that will check for conflicts. I did this and of course it came back free and clear. Everything I've read on the Internet has said that bandwidth-hungry ports like ieee1394 and PCMCIA slots should not share resources.

I also get the idea from Dell community forums that it is quite impossible to change IRQs on the laptops. But I have also read that this is a laptop problem in general.

If any of you know how to switch IRQs in XP home please let me know. FYI the option to manually control IRQs in the device manager is grayed out. Also IOGear is coming out with a Cardbus with both USB2 and Firewire. I've been thinking that might by-pass the problem. I am wondering if anyone else believes that would be a fix for the problem.

Thanks!!!

IRQ 11:
3com integraded ethernet
Dell 8200 (display)
Intell 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2482
Intell 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2487
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE1344 Host Controller
Texast Instruments PCI-4451 cardbus Controller
Texast Instruments PCI-4451 cardbus Controller

Trey Perrone March 28th, 2003 09:35 AM

Changing IRQs in NT5 is like pulling teeth...the only way to successfully change it would to
1.manually change the system to "standard PC" instead of ACPI
2.disable ACPI in BIOS
3.run repair on system making sure to pound the F5 key furiously
at the very beginning of setup as it will prompt you to select the type of system install (standard pc)
4. this may still not work rite, may have to fully reload, but still turn of ACPI and hit F5 at start of setup to manually select standard pc
5.This is reported to work, but would take forever.

I would not say it is impossible to change the IRQs on a laptop system. my suggestion (i used to do tech support for Dell, laptop and desktop baby!) but that is neither here nor there. i cannot remember what your BIOS looks like. you could try going into BIOS and if you have any options for the disabling the integrated ethernet/re-enabling, as well as disabling/removing the 1394 and and USB2 card. If your BIOS has something for PNP try enabling/disabling. If it will manually let you select IRQs awesome, but prob not. if it will let you change the resources for the anything in the BIOS is would be worth trying. if it would let you change IRQ11 to ISA (doubtfull) instead of PNP/PCI it may be enough. otherwise uninstalling/reinstalling the devices would be your best shot, but see if the manufacturer has any advice for manualyl deleting .dlls and associated files to the device or do a search online. NT5 keeps a memory of previously installed devices and will try and stick em back in the same spot/IRQ alot of times

IF, you purchased all this through Dell, you may be able to call them up and complain. if you did not get it from them, do not even bother. As soon as they here "3rd party" you will get the words "unsupported, please contact the manufacturer." Even if you did get it all from Dell, it may be an uphill battle as they will say "this is the way NT5 is designed to work, you have to pay for more indepth support, or call MS" if they tell you to call MS, the first thing they ask is for your Product ID, they wil be able to tell it is was purchased thru dell and refer you back to them (or pay large sums of money, and MS tech people are not that smart) You would have to show Dell that this effects the operation of you PC or at least make them figure it out. If you go about this on your own, i wouldnt be forthcoming with all the info to the tech guy because you may end up insulting him and making him feel dumb. if you stump him completely he would be calling his L2 and someone with a partial brain intact may come to the rescue.