Firewire or USB 2.0 for transfer?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 4th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire or USB 2.0 for transfer??

Hi,
I have a Sony DCR-VX2100 which uses firewire for transfer. Currently, I am downloading from my camera to my Alienware 7700 laptop with Microsoft XP Professional by using firewire. I am using an external 500GB drive for storage. I have the option of using Firewire or USB 2.0 for transfer from my laptop to my external hard drive.
My question is;
In your opinion, should I use Firewire or USB 2.0 for transfer for best quality overall for my video.
Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Major Player

here's a link to a previously posted question on this topic. hope it helps.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...l+usb+firewire
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #3
New Boot

The video quality won't change. I use hard drive in USB 2 external cases exclusively. 4 different brands, all great, no problems. The thing I like most about USB 2 drives is that they are much easier to connect to my laptop. 4-pin firewire is much too fiddly and I'm sure I'll wreck the socket one day, so I leave it just for my camera.
Alwyn Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a variety of external hard drives, all of which have USB 2.0 and Firewire interfaces.

I have come to prefer using the USB 2.0 option. (One of my drives doesn't always get recognised via Firewire but always does via USB).

It also means I have more Firewire ports free to connect my DV devices (I've successfully captured from 3 devices simultaneously).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have been using USB 2.0 External drives daily for 5 years without any issues at all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC