DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Laptop question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/79030-laptop-question.html)

Chris Youell November 6th, 2006 06:07 PM

Laptop question

I tried searching to see if anybody else asked this but my searching doesn't seem to work.

I'm going to be traveling for the next year and have to take a laptop to be doing all the editing on. I'm using PP2.0. I don't want to have to lug around a 17" because I'm going to be living out of a backpack for the year and it'll already be bogged down with lots of other things. I was thinking about looking at a 14" but wasn't sure if the screen was too small (1280x800 resolution). The 15" has the same resolution. It'll be a mix of both HDV and DV footage. Do you think this would be a problem? I'd like to go as small as possible. Any suggestions?

Bennis Hahn November 6th, 2006 06:23 PM

i have a dell inspiron that is a 15.4 widescreen and it is 1680x1050 and perfect for editing on. powerful too.

Mike Teutsch November 6th, 2006 07:10 PM

Screen size is not revelant, just processor speed and on board memory, video card, etc.

I have a Sony Vaio with a 3.2 processor and 1 gig of ram. It works fine with Premiere, but won't match my desktop 3.4 duel processor for speed.

Just wanted to say that screen size is not really a consideration. Hard drive capacity sure is, so have a big one, or a portable to save to.

Mike

Chris Youell November 6th, 2006 07:19 PM

Well I was worried more about the resolution. Is this thing going to be too small for me to really be able to see the stuff when I'm editing out on the field...

Yi Fong Yu November 8th, 2006 07:52 AM

i can edit (don't do much of it) on my 14" 1280x768 laptop no problem. i dunno about long periods of time... though. but you wanted lightweight and screen real estate is one of those things you have to sacrifice to get light.

a few suggestions:
-get core duo or core2 duo. that'll make you more efficient. the price differences between solo+duo isn't that much. amd's turion offerings just aren't mature yet as a "platform" like centrino (2nd gen).
-get ati or nvidia's video card. DO NOT use integrated graphics or else you will be sorry when everything is sluggish.
-with RAM at such low prices, just max out your laptop. mine's@2GB.
-finally, in regards to the main laptop itself, this is the most important, get the fastest hard disk. you may have to buy the laptop first then buy a replacement disk because it's cheaper that way. make sure it's 7200rpm. i had 4200rpm initially and had to take that out quick. it's just counter-productive to have anything less than 7200rpm for editing.
-get extra batteries. you will need it if you're traveling.
-along with the batteries, get a "swiss-army knife" or power adapters.
-get sturdy bag that has security features. you don't want strangers to lift it out of your bag easily and jet.