DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Jumping back in ... please reply (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/8170-jumping-back-please-reply.html)

Mark Richman March 30th, 2003 09:40 AM

Jumping back in ... please reply

I have used Ulead Media Studio in the past (version 5 I think) it was pretty good.

But now I am starting over and the technology has changed (DVD, Mpeg2 not SVHS, Mpeg1). I can't afford a Mac platform, however I can whip a Athlon PC platform together for around a $1,000. The Sony DVD burner comes with some DVD software. Is it good enough to start and what else should I use for "authoring".

Is the software that comes with the Sony PD150 or the Canon GL2 any good for authoring or burning?

Any comments would help, please reply.

Mark

Mark Richman March 30th, 2003 09:53 AM

another thing

I don't want to spend a $1,000 on editing software yet.

I saw that Ulead DVD workshop is affordable and Pinnacle Studio 8 is also affordable.

Is there a much better solution for a little more money?

Solution #1
Media Studio Pro 7 = $400 approx (should have everything I need)
$400 total

Solution #2
Ulead DVD Workshop = $250 approx
Pinnacle Studio 8 = $70 approx
$320 total

Solution #3
Sony software with DVD burner = Free
Pinnacle Studio 8 = $70 approx
$70 total

Solution #4
Your recommendation, I don't have much experience with anything other than Ulead. (remember PC with 2.4 gig athlon, 1 gig mem)

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Michael Wisniewski March 30th, 2003 12:55 PM

Check out Video Factory 2.0 .

If you decide you need more features down the road, Sonic Foundry has an upgrade path to Vegas 4.

I don't think Video Factory 2.0 allows you to "author" DVDs, you will probably need to get separate software for that.

Phil Reams April 2nd, 2003 06:38 PM

Pinnacle Studio 8 is one of the reasons why what little hair I haven't pulled out is now grey at 34.

Between random crashes, and the program just deciding to "go away" right in the middle of an editing session (A problem which I can replicate on different computers - both Athlon and Intel) I switched to using a combination of Vegas Video and Premier, depending on what I know how to do in each program.

With that said, my vote goes for Vegas.

BTW - I should get a reply back from managment on Thursday in regards to if I can be off to help you out on the 11th.

Have a good night-

-Phil

Harry Settle April 2nd, 2003 06:45 PM

I am in favor of Vegas 4 with DVD Architect. Easy upgrade path. Tons of advanced features.

Alex Taylor April 2nd, 2003 09:08 PM

Quote:

Pinnacle Studio 8 is one of the reasons why what little hair I haven't pulled out is now grey at 34.
No argument here! I really hate that program. In addition to crashes, it has some of the most un-intuitive features ever. They're just little things that compound to become very, very annoying.

Trey Perrone April 3rd, 2003 02:12 AM

it may be cheaper (if it is possible) to purchase vegas3 and then get the vegas 4 upgrade....just my .02

Jeff Chandler April 3rd, 2003 02:20 PM

Since you're already familiar with MSP I think you should strongly consider the upgrade to 7.0 I have 6.0 and have tried the 30 day 7.0 demo. It seems to have made some good improvements-speed of render being one of them.

Mark Richman April 3rd, 2003 04:05 PM

Jeff does MSP trial have any limitations

I think I am going to download it and try it.

Mark