ethernet software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Major Player

ethernet software?

Hi ~

I'm just trying to hook two computers together with an ethernet cable so that I can transfer files from my old computer to the new.

From what I've read, I thought I could just cable them together and I'd see the other's hard drives in "My Computer"

But they don't appear. I tried to use the Network Wizard to set up a connection, but that didn't work either.

any ideas? do I need some specific software to accomplish this?

thanks.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You'll first need a crossover cable to avoid using another network device such as a hub, switch or router. It's a cable with the TX and RX lines crossed 'wired backwards' on one end so the TX sends to the RX pins on the opposite end. You can buy them but they're usually way more expensive than they're worth. After that you need to share your drive that you want access to. Overly simplified but a crossover cable is your first step.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I forgot to mention that I am using an ethernet cable with a crossover adapter.

I'll look into "hard drive sharing"

thanks.
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well then. :) That helps much. You should be able to right click on any folder you want to share and click 'sharing and security'. The setting should be pretty easy to understand.

Then from your other computer, Start -> Run
then enter \\computer name\folder

You should be good to go at that point with a typical windows xp setup.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks all

Well, after a lot of internet searching, I found my solution.

I hooked the two computers together with a crossover ethernet cable, went into each computer's "network connections" (in control panel) and set up a "network" with the other computer. (Set the IP address on both computers by Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Look for your Local Area Connection ethernet adapter, right-click and choose properties. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and choose properties. Setup the IP as 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on the first computer and 192.168.1.2 on the second with the same subnet mask. Choose OK/close again.)

I also had to right click on the drives in the old computer and allow them to be accessed. To share your files, right click on any folder and choose Sharing to make them shared. or right click on a drive and share the entire drive.

You can also do this with your printers to be able to print from one computer while the printer is connected to the other.

But then I couldn't see the old computer's drives in the new computer's "my computer" window. Then I noticed on the left side a "my network places", and there they were!

I then copied the project file for my PPRO 1.5 project to the new computer, and opened it on the new computer with PPRO 2.

But PPRO 2 on the new computer didn't know where any of the media files were located, so each time it asked "where is file VIDEO1.avi?", I had to navigate to the drives on my old computer and show it where they were. Once I had shown it a folder, it automatically found all the other files in that folder.

It only asked me for the location of about 20 files - which were each located in a separate area of my old computer - and that was it!

I then chose "project manager" and saved a trimmed version of the project to my new computer's hard drive. I then rendered it, and now I'm ready to modify it as much as I need.

and I can now delete all the files from the old computer.
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6
New Boot

there now, you see how intuitive that was?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson
Well, after a lot of internet searching, I found my solution.

I hooked the two computers together with a crossover ethernet cable, went into each computer's "network connections" (in control panel) and set up a "network" with the other computer. (Set the IP address on both computers by Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Look for your Local Area Connection ethernet adapter, right-click and choose properties. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and choose properties. Setup the IP as 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on the first computer and 192.168.1.2 on the second with the same subnet mask. Choose OK/close again.)

I also had to right click on the drives in the old computer and allow them to be accessed. To share your files, right click on any folder and choose Sharing to make them shared. or right click on a drive and share the entire drive.

You can also do this with your printers to be able to print from one computer while the printer is connected to the other.

But then I couldn't see the old computer's drives in the new computer's "my computer" window. Then I noticed on the left side a "my network places", and there they were!

I then copied the project file for my PPRO 1.5 project to the new computer, and opened it on the new computer with PPRO 2.

But PPRO 2 on the new computer didn't know where any of the media files were located, so each time it asked "where is file VIDEO1.avi?", I had to navigate to the drives on my old computer and show it where they were. Once I had shown it a folder, it automatically found all the other files in that folder.

It only asked me for the location of about 20 files - which were each located in a separate area of my old computer - and that was it!

I then chose "project manager" and saved a trimmed version of the project to my new computer's hard drive. I then rendered it, and now I'm ready to modify it as much as I need.

and I can now delete all the files from the old computer.

what could have been simpler?!!
Jon Whiteford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC