Dual Xeon System Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 10th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #1
New Boot

Dual Xeon System Question

Hi Guys,

I have a dual Xeon system which i plan to use for NLE - Supermicro X5DPE-G2 (http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...1/X5DPE-G2.cfm) - this system is capable of housing up to 16Gb of RAM - my question is, if 32Bit processors can see a maximum of 4Gb of RAM - why is there the capacity for 16Gb??

I think i've missed something here...

Thanks!
Khaled Chatila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Some Xeon models are 64-bit.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Trustee

The fact that a Xeon may be 64 bit is utter cr*p and completely irrelevant. Whether 4 GB of Ram or more can be used is dependent on the OS and some people prefer to use an other OS than WinXP. Linux or Unix or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and Vista come to mind.

For the time being it would not make sense if you use WinXP to install more than 4 GB, but make sure you use four banks to profit from the memory architecture of this mobo. So, better use 4x1GB sticks, than 2x2GB sticks.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Harm,

So you're saying that with an OS other than XP in this system, it could make use of more RAM?

I thought the limit was dependent on the processor and not the OS.

This mobo has 8 banks, and currently i am occupying 4 of them with 1Gb sticks, it came with six, but when i noticed that the OS was only seeing 4, i took the other two out and used them elsewhere.

i think the previous owner was using redhat linux... and by what ur saying, they probably had access to all 6Gb of installed RAM - right?

Thanks.
Khaled Chatila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #5
Trustee

Correct, Khaled.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC