Sick of it.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 5th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Sick of it..

I have a Pinnacle DV500 Plus card. I paid $1000 for it and expect it to work better then a simple Firewire card for $15. But no! I liked Premiere alot before but now I can't stand it. I know atleast 20 ways to crash it every time I do the specific thing.

My question is, I know there are more people on this board with the same card, do you have the same problems?

I would really like to be able to use my DV500 card with Vegas but I don't know if it's possible? Perhaps someone else knows?

Thanks!

/Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

What os do you have? I would be willing to bet there is a drive malfunction. Check for the latest drivers from Pinnacle.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I have WinXP Pro,

And the 3.0 Drivers. I'm downloading new drivers but I would be very amazed if it would work flawless as one would expect for a card like that.

Thanks!

/Andreas
Old April 6th, 2003, 05:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I had lots of problems with Windows XP and version 3 drivers for my DV 500. I upgraded to version 4 and have had no problems since.

hope this helps
Old April 6th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #5
Major Player

I Upgraded it and it got better but I still have problems with freezes and things like that. I guess I will have to use it as a analog in card only..

Thanks!!

/Andreas
Old April 6th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #6
Wrangler

You might try moving the card to another PCI slot. That sometimes helps with priority and IRQs.

Also you might want to check the disks. You shouldn't be running anything less than 7200 RPM spindle speed. Another problem might be fragmentation or low free space. If you are running low on space, add another drive.

Memory could be another promblem. XP tends to like more memory and it operates better with 1/2 gig.

If you have some anti-virus programs running, that might cause a problem too.

Finally, if all else fails, do a clean install.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Just for my own peace of mind, could you give me a brief rundown on your setup. . . computer, cards, memory, and what is it exactly that you do with your capture card.
Old April 6th, 2003, 09:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

When upgrading the DV500 drivers from version 3 to 4, I was told that for a trouble free life i should refromat my system and reinstall everything from scratch.

I followed this advice and have had no problems.

If this seems a bit extreme I think Pinnacle now have a Reg Cleaner tool for download on their website that supposedly removes any trave of version 3 drivers before version 4 is installed. I have not tried this but it might be worth a go.

Good luck.
Old April 6th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks again for the replys.

I might be picky and that might be my main problems. But I want a fast edeting solution. that's all..

My system is:

CPU: 2 X AMD 2000+ MP
Ram: Xtreme 512 x2 2800
HDD: 2X Western Digital 120 GiG SE (7200) (8mb cache)
Motherboard: ASUS Dual motherboard.
GFX: Asus Gforce 4 128mb
Sound: TurtleBeach Santa Cruz.

I've done clean installs, I've done alot of tweaking. Nothing
helps. I guess I have to blaim Premiere more then anything else becaues when I edit with Vegas everything goes great. The problems I get with premiere is.

1.Total system hang, when viewing DV longer then 30 sec in Premiere. (Freezes for 30 sec then opens up)

2. If I take the editline and drag it quickly across a DV (or any other media) the program crashes totaly. I can drag it slow, but If I drag it quickly and forwards and backwards it dies after 2-3 sec.

3. If I render a scene and I do anything else, like open a mail or something simple premiere hangs permanently.

4. I cant capture video in premiere. Although I sould be able to.

5. I have huge problems with some file formats.

I've built computers for the Swedish military and I've build my own computer so I would say I'm no beginner when it comes to computers. I find the DV500 soultion very user unfriendly.

Thanks for all your replys and help.. It's gotten abit better but I'm far from pleased..

/Andreas
Old April 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #10
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i see you are running AMD ...
by any chance does your MB use via chip sets ??

make sure you have the newest drivers for your via chip sets ... i have noticed on many boards that persons that have AMD's and via chip sets have more problems then non via chip sets ??
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Ditto's on the chipsets. However, I see a lot of unhappy Premier threads in other forums, for the same reasons that you state. I've never been so at ease with my editing since I switched to Canopus for converting my analog to digital, and also with Vegas 3.0, now Vegas 4. I'm using straight firewire for my capture along with my Nvidia Gforce 4200 graphics card. If you do have the via chipsets, dig hard for updated drivers, however, from what I've seen, some have few problems with Premier, and some have all the problems.
Old April 6th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #12
Major Player

I have AMD 760MPX chipset, so it's not a via chipset. I know via can be alot of trouble.

Thanks again, With my old computer Premiere worked great, I bet it would do on this computer too, if it wasn’t for the combination Premiere - DV500. But I know what I have to do. I'm going to keep this DV500 but get a noter low end firewire card. If you can bare with it the analog capture is not all that bad. I can live with that.

/Andreas
Old April 6th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #13
Major Player

My friend, I understand. I have a DV500 board that now sits in the back room gathering dust, along with it's predicessor my old DC30 board. I switched from Premiere to Vegas and have never looked back, never! I don't miss the board too much at all. It's a trade off. Yeah, there were some benefits but really they are nothing compared to being able to edit without ever crashing and the other countless benefits of Vegas. I sometimes go to the pinnacle forum to see what the lower life forms are trying to fix, for amusement. No insult intended, but I just feel like I am on a higher plane of existence using Vegas.

That is my perscription for your headaches. Switch to Vegas, and if you find someone who wants to buy a DV500, let me know.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #14
Major Player

Haha, Rob.... I hear you...
What solution do you have now? Cheap Firewire card?
What could you recommend me?

I have Vegas 3 but are going to get Vegas 4 and dump Premiere. Are there any analog - vegas solutions out there?

I want: Flawless editing (as I have now with Vegas)
I want: To be able to use my tvscreen with vegas (But I cant now because it only works with premiere) And it's hard to edit on that little screen. Not to talk about adjusting color.
I want: DV IN/OUT
I want: Analog in/out

What could you guys recomend me?

Yes, If I could sell my DV500 card I would too.. No doubt about that.

Once again I would like to say thank you to all posters.

/Andreas
Old April 6th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #15
Major Player

I use a Canopus ADVC-100 for all of my analog to digital capture. It is a breakout box, converts analog to digital via firewire into computer, allows digital to analog output through the same firewire. I got tired of messing around with all of the other junk. Back when I started looking for a fairly reliable, fairly inexpensive solution for analog capture, I noticed that in all of the NLE forums, Canopus seems to have the fewest amount of complaints. When I started reading the Canopus forums, most of their threads had to do with tips and tricks, very few real problems and a good deal of the problems had to do with common system stuff, not the Canopus products. I got the ADVC-100 because it allowed me to do analog in and back out again. Purchased a cheap firewire card, and haven't had a problem since. The other really good move I made was going to Vegas.

If you are using a DV camera, you may already have "passthrough" capabilities for converting your analog to dig. Vegas will do analog and digital.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC