Matrox Help: Cannot play Microsoft DV files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Matrox Help: Cannot play Microsoft DV files

Hello Matrox users...

I saved some 5 hours of DVCAM footage I shot for a client to his hard drive
as standard Microsoft DV files (40 mins each) and he called to say he cannot play them off the timeline without rendering. He has Premiere 6.5.

I now come to find out he has a Matrox card in his system (rented for this project). He has also captured other footage in via this card so he is stuck using it to complete the job.

Is there any way this system will play the Microsoft files without rendering them? He has no DVCAM deck of his own.

Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi George,

The answer is no, he will have to render one or the other...

If he creates a project in the standard Premiere DV template the Matrox clips will need to be rendered. If he creates a project with the matrox template then as he has found out the Microsoft DV clips will need rendering. Reason is that they were both captured using different codecs which are incompatible with each other, so premiere has to render them.

The only way around this is to convert the Microsoft clips into the Matrox codec. I beleive that Matrox used to bunddle a tool that done this but can't remember what its called - some sort of file convertor. once converted he can then load in what were the microsoft clips into a Matrox project.

If his PC is fast enough I would personally put up with the rendering. if he needs to preview anything he can use the alt+scrub edit line function, which allows the preview of any effects etc with out rendering. Or simply render parts he needs to see using the work area bar.

Matrox files (I think pre Premiere Pro) also have a separate .wav files. where as Microsft files are interleaved.

Hope this helps a little

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Ed:

Thanks for the information. He's not too happy but is is rendering what he
places on the time line so he can watch it as he edits.

I am aware, I even have a copy had I only known beforehand he had the Matrox card, of a program called DV Converter...

http://www.baobab.net/dvconvinfo.html

that can convert files by changing the wrapper info. Perhaps this might have have helped again had I known what he had earlier.

IMHO the fellow who rented him the Matrox system was either ill informed or less than honest. If he knew the project was all DVCAM and PVCPro material there was no reason for the Matrox card to be in the computer in the first place.

Firewire was all he needed and this would have not been an issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC