Looking for other than Pinnacle Studio Pro 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Looking for other than Pinnacle Studio Pro 9

New to the forum and hope I placed this in the right area:

I have been using Studio Pro 9 for about 2 years now and am looking for a similar / better program. I enjoy the simple editing method, but the final DVD produced is terrible. I've never gotten the highlights in the menu to align correctly even though there was supposedly a patch fix I installed and the sound spikes at the beginning and end of each chapter if I use a fade-in and fade-out. I haven't had much time to try anything out let-alone get any editing done with my busy schedule. Please help, what do you recommend?

Thanks!
Mark Nevnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There are several other "entry level" programs similar to the Pinnacle Studio.
Adobe Premiere Elements is one of them. There is also a "light version" of Sony Vegas, and others which I don't remember the names of right now.
You should be able to download free trial versions of all of them from the manufacturers websites.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Vegas Movie Studio + DVD is Sony program.

Frankly, there is nothing out there as simple and easy as Studio. There will be learning curve with the others.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Ditto, what Chris B. said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
There will be learning curve with the others.
I moved from Studio 9 Plus to Adobe Production Suite, and soon came to realize that the amount of knowledge I lacked was staggering. It's why I participate in this forum. (Though I have to admit, I never encountered the problems with Studio 9 that you mention; though slow, I found it rather well behaved on my machine). My head is still spinning from all the differences. Despite that, I trudge ever onward, experimenting with something new nearly every day. If making mistakes is the best way to learn, I should soon be qualified for a degree of some kind, though I've certainly failed my share of "tests" along the way.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nevnor View Post
New to the forum and hope I placed this in the right area:

I have been using Studio Pro 9 for about 2 years now and am looking for a similar / better program. I enjoy the simple editing method, but the final DVD produced is terrible. I've never gotten the highlights in the menu to align correctly even though there was supposedly a patch fix I installed and the sound spikes at the beginning and end of each chapter if I use a fade-in and fade-out. I haven't had much time to try anything out let-alone get any editing done with my busy schedule. Please help, what do you recommend?

Thanks!
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I started using Pinnacle around version 8.0 and have migrated to 9.0 & 10.0 (only because it came with something else). 10 doesn't support my analog capture in my new PC and I'm swapping the analog recorder for the new HV20 next month. It'll cost more for me to move to v10 that supports HDV, so I'm out looking at some of the other packages.

Right now I'm really enjoying the Sony Vegas trial and I'm inclined to move to that one (haven't decided yet between the $100 or $400 version though I know I can get away with just the $100 one ;). It's very straight forward yet offers a ton of features that just boggle my mind. Most things are very intuitive though there are a couple of minor things that you have to dig around for. It does a much better job at memory management than Pinnacle did and doesn't chew my machine to death when it's rendering. I still have to checkout the Adobe products before i commit to Vegas, but so far it's a very stable and functional app. I just had a few issues getting it running under Vista, but it seems very happy now.

-Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC