Native Formats at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 13th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Tourist

Native Formats

I know the native format for editing in Premiere is .avi files. I've had problems editing .mpg files (loosing audio) in older versions of Pemiere. Does anyone know if this has been solved for Premier Pro 2.0? I heard Vegas and I know Pinnacle edit directly with .mpg.
Lastly, just to get it straight, what editing suite is the most flexible in editing different file formats without having to convert to some "native format". And if you know your software, if you can list all the file formats it can handle within the time line (.mov, .mpg, .avi, real, etc...)
Shahab Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

if u dont want to mess around with conversions and with wavelet formats, Vegas7, Edius3/4, PremPro2 (with a high end NVidia card) and Liquid (with a high end gfx card) <in that order> will all let u edit native M2t, mpg2 and avi..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
if u dont want to mess around with conversions and with wavelet formats, ... PremPro2 (with a high end NVidia card) will all let u edit native M2t, mpg2 and avi..
Peter, could you elaborate on the Premiere part a little? What is exactly your workflow and which NVidia card are you using to edit SD mpeg without any conversion?

Thanks,
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

prem pro 2 on 3.0ghz 1gb ram system with an nvidia 6800gt
works a treat

simple import and edit much like dv
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sorry Peter, I was perhaps not clear enough - I was asking about the workflow, not the tech specs... Specifically, how do you prevent PPRO from decompressing the mpeg footage to avi and then recompressing it? I did use PPRO 1.5 to edit mpeg, but as far as I can tell, the software decompressed the mpeg into avi and then from there I had to follow the regular workflow to make a DVD.

I was hoping... you found a way to avoid the decompressing/recompressing in PPRO 2.0...?
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

no mate, you were clear enough..
prem pro 2 allows u to import the M2t's straight to the timeline.. no hassles, no "conforming" and no crud

nice and easy..

never edited MPg2 off the bat though, its always been hdv..
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I messed up again, I should have said I was thinking SD mpeg, mate! I had a project a while back where the client brought his hard drive camcorder (JVC Everio), I had to download the footage from there. I was hoping... you found a way to avoid the decompressing/recompressing STANDARD DEFINITION in PPRO 2.0...?

I played around with high def and that's clear to me already, so that's not what I was asking now...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC