Favorite NLE App at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 25th, 2003, 12:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Favorite NLE App

I'm curious to see who uses what. I haven't used many. Just Ifinish and Premiere. What do you use? And why do you use it?
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:26 AM   #2
Wrangler

I use Premiere 6.5, why because it was in my budget, have used previous versions, its compatible with a whole host of Capture cards and Software. And once you know it its quite easy to use. Admittedly it can take a little longer to do something that other apps can do faster but hay I like it.

Alex, there is a real-time preview with Premiere 6.5. All you have to do is make sure you are using the real-time preview preset and hit enter. Rather than rendering it creates a real-time preview. Plus you could use scrub edit to preview what an effect might look like.

Cheers,

Ed smith

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:25 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

What do I use? Mostly Premiere 6.2, because it is what I feel at home with. I learned Premiere in College, and have stuck with it. I also use Storm edit, because I really like the color correction tools. I'll touch up a clip, then import it into Premiere, because I like the layout and tools. I have even used Vegas, on occasion, just for odd exports that it did better than Premiere.

As a side note... I also use Premiere for compositing and animation :)
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #4
Wrangler

Vegas 3, soon to be Vegas 4.
Fast and intuitive (more so than Premiere anyway).
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #5
New Boot

I use Pinnacle Edition. Why? Well I had studio as it was the only one that worked with my MicrMV camera and they had an upgrade offer for Edition 4.5 that is really a good price. So when I bought my GL2 I upgraded to it. With version 5 out in the next 2 to 3 weeks I think it will compete with anything out there. The learning curve is fairly steep but the features I find excellent and the CD tutorial that comes with it is pretty good. All that being said I have very little experience with any other editor except Vegas 4 which I have tried,
Tim D Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm using Avid Xpress DV because I thought I could get paid for editing in the future because of its hold on the industry. As a side gig.

I am also learning Final Cut Pro.

I like Avid XPress because of the time spent with it.

NLE's grow on you depending on what you have available. I cut a short ski movie for a friend of mine using Premiere 6.0 and had a lot of fun using that product. A very jump-in and start playing around NLE.

Avid was decided before I started my first short using my XL1S. I haven't looked back. Steep learning curve. However, manageable. I like it very much. I had better, I paid for it. HAR HAR.

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #7
High School Student

I've had the chance to use Avid Xpress DV, and I don't like it. I'm sure it would be better if I learned it, but I couldn't even figure out how to import a file into the timeline. :P
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #8
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

Vegas 4 .. NLE, audio editor, compositing .. V4 is stable.. work with different media in time line ( wmv,QT,avi, stills , generated media) .... surround sound !! easy to use , fast and you can have multiple vegas open ( usually 3 ). i like that i can keep editing while i preview edits in RT ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #9
Wrangler

Was Studio DV 7 for about 4 years, now it's Vegas Video 3 after using it for 3 months.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Avid Xpress DV 3.54 -- period.

There is no faster way to cut. Feature for feature, and dollar for dollar there may be more FX and features in other packages, but if workflow is important, then Avid is the ONLY solution.

I've used Premiere (6.5--extensively) on both Pinnacle Pro ONE and Canopus DV Storm , Vegas, FCP on a dual G4 1G, and they're all dogs by comparison.

Avid is the workflow CHAMPEEN. Hands down. No contest. Lock, stock, and barrel. Finished business.
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Premiere 6.5

why? well it's what I have and it does the job
I haven't had the chance to play with Avid or Vegas but i would really love to try them. I played with Pinnacle edition and I just didn't like it, mostly because it wasn't Premiere ;-)

I know premiere so well now i think i could use it with a blindfold on. Pinnacle had some really cool little features I liked but I couldn't flow with the overall interface of it.

I can't really complain about premiere at all. It's been awesome to me and also when jumping from AE to photoshop to premiere, it's nice being in one type of overall interface.
Old April 28th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #12
Wrangler

Canopus DVRexRt for its reliability, true RT speed, and output quality.

It's been great for almost all my needs. Other than that, After Effects and Photoshop.

MSPro for its Rotoscoping capability when I really have to get the boom microphone out of the picture :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC