New computer Specs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 1st, 2003, 03:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Alex,

A few comments:

I notice you're buying from scan (cheap and quick), always worth looking at www.microdirect.co.uk (service is sh*t, but they're cheap).

Also treat yourself to a copy of 'Ghost' by Symantec. You can backup your system, repartition and restore if you decide you have not partitioned correctly. In general I would not 'over-partion'. 1 disk for OS and 1 disk for Data. Why limit your options later, especially when you want to install that 20CD set of string samples !

WinXP home is fine unless you need dual processors or advanced networking features....most people don't.

I wouldn't bother with the expensive soundblaster...either get the cheap one (which is fine....even for CubaseSX despite what many people say) or get a really nice high-end audio card.

If you are editing DV, hard drive speed really isn't an issue. Even the cheapest modern drive can handle the datarate (3.5 MB/s).

Don't get paranoid about 'tips and tweaks'. In XP they don't speed up the system to any appreciable degree. With the proviso that you don't install 'junk' software'. Just install software you USE, (but as you have you 'Ghost' backup you can always restore).

Finaly, remember that everybody has their favourites and opinions...in general your list looks fine...go for it.

simon
Simon Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:54 PM   #17
Regular Crew

No the Firewire drive wont be faster because after all its a ATA100 drive that is connected to firewire via a Oxford based controller.......Tips and tweaks will make a difference in XP....However they wont make any real difference with your setup.

As for the Soudblaster thing...Contrary to what some will have you belivie a Soundblaster will not work "properly" with any Audio app that uses an ASIO driver (I am going to get flamed for that one) Why?? Because no soundblaster has ever supported ASIO they use the DirectX driver in the windows enviroment. This is a driver meant for gaming not for pro audio. Seeing how you want to use midi to record patches with your drum kit you will probably be disappointed with the slow latency that the SB willl give you. Try the Delta Audiophile 2496 http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/audiophile.php
They can be had for less than that SB Ultra Platnium super extreme EX Audigy master....Or whatever there naming there cards these days.
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:15 PM   #18
Wrangler

I'll muddy the waters a bit here by asking how long you expect your Godzilla editing computer to maintain it's superiority.

The reason I ask is that by the end of the year, we should be seeing affordable 64 bit-wide microprocessors, boards and memory. They will be significantly faster (so it is said) even if the programs initially do not take full advantage of their capabilities. 4X speed improvement has been discussed.

It may be that the I/O buss will also change to accommodade a 64 bit data path (I think they are 32 bits now, aren't they?) then even the editing cards may change.

Certainly DV doesn't need wider I/O but I'm guessing someone is going to come up with a way to pull data off tape a lot faster one of these days (like the big boys and their 4X transfer speeds) and that may demand new firewire cards.

For myself, I'll muddle along with my twin PIII 850's until I see how it all settles out.

If I had to build a new editing computer right now, it would be a P4 at 3 ghz with the new multi-threading capability and the 800 Mhz FSB. I can always use it later for word processing.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:33 AM   #19
Regular Crew

hehe yeah it's pretty clear that whenever you buy there's always something better down the road.

I've been putting off this upgrade for so long for that very reason and as a result will probably get a 3ghz machine rather than 2.53. I need it for a project in late june, so I will be waiting till just before then before I buy. Until then I will keep my gaze firmly on the horizon!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:58 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Scott,

Not in anyway a flame !!! but with reference to ASIO support with soundblaster cards. Most soundblaster cards do support it, even the cheaper ones......

http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=60&cat=2

Alternatively there is the KX project at

http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=60&cat=2

These guys have written their own driver...really well spec'ed if a little 'techy'.

I do agree with you that they are in no way ideal, sonically they leave a lot to be desired, but they do work. I have used a cheap soundblaster card with cubase, even with a latency of 3ms, without problems.

si
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:26 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I stand corrected......Was there supposed to be a different link for that KX project driver stuff..Because you posted the same link twice
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:06 AM   #22
Regular Crew

whoops....still haven't mastered the cut'n'paste !!

2nd link was:

http://kxproject.spb.ru/index.php?skip=1

regards

si
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #23
Major Player

If you haven't purchased your computer yet, look to see if the place you are buying it from will let you get an OEM version of the OS you want. They are cheaper and have the same thing as the retail box, save for the box. For example at Multiwave they sell OEM versions of XP provided you also buy hardware from them.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:36 AM   #24
Regular Crew

yeah, will do..

I'm buying in about 5 weeks, so we'll see how things change by then.

Alex
Alex Gingell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC