XL1 + Firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 1st, 2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1 + Firewire

When I batch digitize material in my Edition editing system and using my Canon XL1 camera as a deck, about one-third of the clips won't capture at all.

Incidentally I have set the software to advise me of timecode breaks, but continue digitising, but this hasn't happened, so I don't think faulty timecode is the problem.

My NLE dealers say this is Canon's fault; I have two XL1s (the second bought in Oct 1998) and the problem occurs with both of them.

I know that JVC have a dodgy reputation for Firewire implementation; does anyone know whether Canon are the same? If anyone has had the same problem did they get the camera modified to solve it or does it mean a new camera/deck?

Thanks in advance
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:26 PM   #2
Warden

Canon says their implementation of FireWire meets IEEE1394 specs and no modification is available. It sounds like a software issue and I'm moving this to the PC NLE forum.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 03:44 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Are you using tapes recorded on the camera you are using as a
deck? Canon camera's sometimes don't seem to like tape from
other cams. Also did you try any other capture applications to
see whether the problem might be with Edition? I've had very
little troubles with my XL1s and Premiere.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:58 AM   #4
New Boot

I can digitize footage from my XL1s into Sonic Foundry's Vegas via an ADS Pyro card, but when I'm in capture the GUI freaks out a bit.. the timecode on screen doesn't run smoothly, the controls are sluggish and unresponsive.. it's very difficult to control. Other cameras do not do this on the same computer.

Sonic Foundry doesn't seem to keen on looking into it, since the capture does seem to ultimately work, but it's horribly annoying. I think there is something slightly screwy with Canon's 1394 code, but I doubt we're going to get anyone to admit it (or fix it).
Bob Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:14 AM   #5
Warden

My understanding of the issue (after talking to several people at Apple a few years back) is there are two implementations of FireWire control. Apple refers to them as Basic and Advanced I believe (sorry not in front of my editing station). The XL1 follows the Basic FireWire protocol. Not all software has full support for Basic because it is the first and older protocol. Apple uses both for FCP, iMovie etc. and it is user switchable.

Canon followed the protocol at the time the XL1 was released. I believe from talking to Apple that it is a firmware/hardware issue with the camcorder and the XL1 can't be updated (nor can most if any other camcorders). I would assume that the XL1 replacement will follow the advanced protocol, as all of Canon's new cameras do.

The issues can be solved by the software maker (as Apple did) but they probably feel it is too small of a market to worry about.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Paul

Have you managed ever to capture footage to this computer without problem, it certainly seems your set up is the problem and not the cameras.
Post your computer specs.

Peter
Peter Lock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC