Chossing sub $1000 video editing software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 1st, 2003, 04:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Chossing sub $1000 video editing software

Looking for any advice about choosing a NLE for PC with budget < $1000. I have glanced through the threads but a little lost. If anyone could provide some advice or steer me towards some threads which might be useful I would appreciate it. Incidnetally, I am using ULEAD media studio 7.0 trial, which to my novice taste seems to be fine. Are there any downsides to this software?
Thanks
-Phil
Philip Lakritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:38 PM   #2
High School Student

Get Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 4, you can get it for less than $500, to most people it's the shiznit (best). It's my favorite. It's the easiest, and all of that. Download the trial and check it out, it takes a while to get used to some of the commands, but once you do get used to it, it's awesome...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Alex,
The one thing I neglected to mention is that I do record in 4 track with my XL1s. Does this change recommendation at all? I am using Scenalyzer (just got it) and it seems to work well. Though it does seem that I need to rename the second set of audio tracks (st 2) before importing then into editing software. Are any of the other NLE's significantly better at dealing with 4 track? In any event, I am going to give Vegas a try.
-Phil
Philip Lakritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I use Vegas AND 4 channel audio. Vegas will not capture 4 channel audio - Scenalyzer will.

What I do:
Capture all clips with 4 channel audio clips with Scenalyzer
Capture all other clips with Vegas capture

My next Vegas newsletter deals with capturing.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC