Editing raw footage - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #31
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

UPDATE --- i found the WHY !!!!

seems each software has a NATIVE codec ..it works BEST with that codec ...

I was doing ALL RGB's readings in Vegas with SOFO codec ...
when i rendered the MSDV codec clip - after when i was comparing the clips i was using Vegas with SOFO codec to read the RGB #'s ... when i was reading Simons avi's i was also using SOFO codec to read em -.... when i switched applications to read RGB's , i was reading with the software's native codec i was not reading using MSDv codec...

if i use the MSDV codec to read the clips, ALL posted AVI's read correct except sofo V Bars
NOW putting the rendered Vegas dv bars clip into Vegas time line using the msdv codec to read RGB's they are way out of whack !! and they look terrible with artifacts ( Simon, you must have questioned my eye site)....
Uncompressed clips/stills read correct with either codec ...

it appears that Premiere/AE does not read Vegas clips ( rendered using sofo codec) very well ..

Vegas ( using sofo codec) does not read clips rendered in Premiere/AE/Vegas rendered using MSdv codec) very well ..

Vegas (reading with msdv codec ) does not read Vegas clips that were rendered using sofo codec very well ...

ALL mentioned software do read uncompressed clips and Stills excellent...

it looks like whatever codec one used to render - it is best to use that codec to play back the clip !!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

old post
i down loaded the donzip and looked at the V clips and the #'s are GOOD (on my system + - 1 number) ...

in the end i would say that each should test their own codec's on their systems if they want to see how their codec renders.

IMO you have to go by YOUR test results !!
your EXCEL sheet shows the msDV , mainconcept, canopus dv codec's are ALL approx. 99% match the original .. based on those results anyone of those codec's is a good choice. i stand behind your results becuase you repeated your test and you tested on win2K/XP.. i can only conclude that msdv codec doesn't work well with the software that i use.
so perhaps there is something in software works best with its default codec, and perhaps each software is fine tuned to work BEST with that codec.

bottom line for ALL is how it looks to them viewing the final output.

Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Don,

I captured my video files using ulead previously, and then I rendered the final output using Vegas, and the quality was really bad.

Could the different software used be the cause?
Is that what you are referring to?

Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #33
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

for a experiment try rendering the ulead clips in Vegas using the msDV codec .. under preference uncheck ignore 3rd party codec's and then Check the use microsoft dv codec Box ... see if that turns it around

i'm not sure but ulead uses the microdoft dv codec and perhaps ??? when i used V with MSdv codec all of Simons clips and the clips i used rendering with msdv codec look excellent.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC