DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Installing Pinnacle 10.6 Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/92436-installing-pinnacle-10-6-question.html)

Lisa Bennett April 26th, 2007 05:36 AM

Installing Pinnacle 10.6 Question

I just recently received the upgrade in the mail after using studio 9. To install 10.6, do I first uninstall version 9 or install over version 9? The case of 10.6 reads "A previous version of pinnacle studio 7 or higher is required."

Has anyone else had problems capturing with 1394 with 10.6?

Lisa

Ervin Farkas April 26th, 2007 11:02 AM

I am not familiar with Pinnacle, but your answer is right there: "A previous version of pinnacle studio 7 or higher is required." You need to install over your existing version 9, so do not unistall Studio 9. Upgrades are just that: a newer, better version of an existing software, an addition to your existing one.

As far as your firewire problems (if we're talking about the same PC you mention in your other thread), I don't think it's related to any NLE... your computer simply does not recognize the camera and that won't change with the installation of any NLE software. You need to get your PC to recognize the camcorder (have it listed under My computer as DV or HDV device).

Mark Holland April 26th, 2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett (Post 667753)
I just recently received the upgrade in the mail after using studio 9. To install 10.6, do I first uninstall version 9 or install over version 9? The case of 10.6 reads "A previous version of pinnacle studio 7 or higher is required."

Has anyone else had problems capturing with 1394 with 10.6?

Lisa

I've upgraded to newer versions of Pinnacle, from older versions of Pinnacle and never had to uninstall first.

I haven't used version 10, so I can't help with your other question, but I think Ervin might be right, I don't think it's a Pinnacle problem.

Lisa Bennett April 26th, 2007 05:04 PM

The computer just isn't recognizing the camera. I've done everything I know to do. Even Gateway helped me reload the 1394 driver. I think I'll try hooking up the camera to a different computer and then if that one doesn't find it, then there is certainly a problem.

I did see today that there are 2 listings in device manager under systems that say Pinnacle Marvin. One has a yellow exclamation mark and the other doesn't. Before I only recall seeing it listed one time. It has an error code 31 saying that windows was not able to load the driver.

I received an email from Pinnacle saying that studio doesn't support 64-bit. The gateway has ATI and on the sticker it says 64 bit powerhouse. Maybe this is the problem and a different computer will solve it. I was hoping to use the gateway so I can work mobile.

This is frustrating. Upgraded so I could edit hd and now this ....oh well.

Thanks for the help. If you think of anything that might be an answer to this mess, please send it over.

Best Regards,
Lisa

Lisa Bennett April 26th, 2007 05:24 PM

just a note on the pinnacle upgrade. computer shows version 9 and version 10 as separate programs on the computer. is it suppose to be this way? since it's an upgrade I was thinking it would upgrade and only allow show one program (pinnacle studio plus) under my programs.
thanks again
Lisa

Bill Koehler May 29th, 2007 09:40 PM

I've been using Studio for a while (since version 2000).

1. I almost always uninstall the previous version.
The newer version of software often gets put in a different directory.
(...\Studio7, ...\Studio8, ...\Studio9, you get the idea).
It also eliminates confusion with the stuff that gets installed into the Windows\System directory.

2. I then run a registry cleaner to clean up all the registry references still left after the uninstall. Pinnacle Systems uninstall programs could use major improvement here.

3. I then install the upgrade. When it doesn't find a previous version on the hard drive, it will walk you through sticking in a previous version CD. Similar to what a Windows OS Upgrade CD will do.

4. Be sure to go to there website for the latest patch! Last I checked they were up to 10.7. Download and install that as well.

And now you are good to go.

Lisa Bennett June 4th, 2007 01:11 PM

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the assistance.

I was a bit confused because the Studio Plus package says "a previous version of Pinnacle Studio version 7 or higher is required." So, I had loaded it and then saw that it left me with the old version and also the 10.6 version. I wasn't sure if there were some files that were shared so I just left the old version in. But, after your post, it seems that I should go in and delete the earlier version which is Studio AV/DV.

I was having a problem trying to get the computer to recognize the camera. It finally did start working but sometimes when I plug in the firewire to computer it is recognized right away and other times I have to unplug it a few times to get it to work.

I've been happy with Pinnacle products so far. It's a bit confusing on how to delete old projects but otherwise it's been great.

Thank you again,
Lisa