DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Does any one here uses Ulead VideoStudio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/92801-does-any-one-here-uses-ulead-videostudio.html)

Stelios Christofides April 30th, 2007 01:59 PM

Does any one here uses Ulead VideoStudio?

Hi
I was wondering if anyone here uses Ulead VideoStudio for editing. I use VideoStudio10+ and all of my clients are very happy with what I give them. I know that other software like Vegas are more powerful or have more functions than VideoStudio, but is there really anything important that VideoStudio10 can not do it to affect the final result?

Stelios

Chris Soucy May 1st, 2007 01:13 AM

Hi Stelios

You'd be suprised how many people use Ulead 10 (or maybe not).

I suppose you've answered your own question: Are the punters happy?

If so, what's the problem?

If not, well, you have a problem.

There is no point using a 100,000 dollar surgical laser cutter to chop firewood.

If you or the punters aren't happy with the results of your current editing solution, investigate alternatives and learn how to use one well - no easy thing as most of the "upmarket" systems are about as user friendly as junk yard dogs (in my experience) without training from someone who really knows how to use it.

"RTFM" only gets you so far with any of the "better" solutions ( I will not define "better").

In short, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but extra learning is never a bad move.

Can't believe that's helped, but hey, it's free!

Chris

Stelios Christofides May 1st, 2007 01:55 PM

Hi Chris from down under. What are you using?

Stelios

Chris Soucy May 1st, 2007 04:31 PM

Hi again Stelios...

Currently got Video Studio 10 AND Adobe Premier Elements loaded. As an Editor I make a good video cameraman, so I like to keep it real simple, which is where Ulead comes in. Shame I can't get it to actually capture from my XH A1, but that's where Elements does it's bit. Think the Ulead problem was due to shooting my first HD tape in 24f, which Ulead disdained to touch. However, the feedback from Ulead (about the problem) was so utterly pathetic I spat the dummy and bought APE 3 out of sheer frustration!

My first foray into editing was using Pinnacle 500 (I think) with Adobe Premier, but no matter how many times I rebuilt the machine and reloaded the Operating system (W98) and Adobe, it would lock up after a few seconds. Never did get it to work. Tried Ulead 8 after that and had similar lack of success with that (my first experience of Uleads pathetic user support - IMHO!)

Gave up till I got my new system, and you can imagine my joy when Ulead 10 refused point blank to have anything to do with my A1. Was starting to think I was cursed until APE 3 worked first time, every time. Shame it doesn't split by scene on capture tho'.

Regards,

Chris