DVD-R Which ones? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 4th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD-R Which ones?

I use a pioneer a05 burner. I also just started using dvd architect that came with vv4. When I bought the burner 6 months ago, I also got some dvd-r discs. I got Memorex dvd-r single sided version 2.0. They came 3 to a pack. The first batch I bought came in jewel cases that are "square". They worked just fine... Later I bought the exact same discs, but... the jewel cases are now "rounded". Also one small graphic on the actual disc has been altered, yet the packaging is the exact same. Now the problem... I attempted three times to burn on these discs (ones with rounded jewel cases) and all three times the burn failed! At three bucks a pop here, this sucks! What the ? Does anyone have any suggestions on discs for this burner? Where can I get them in bulk? Also the best quality for the price.
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player

I like TDK and Pioneer myself for DVD media. Check out Tape and Media for great service if not for some agreeable prices. I never really liked Memorex. Also have to ensure you get media at the right speed and possibly update the firmware of your DVD burner (I think the A05 is okay, but have to check, I know the A04 needed to be firmware updated to accept the faster spec discs).
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

If my memory serves me correctly I thought there was an issue with the A05 and v.2 media. I thought you had to do a firmware update to be compatable- then after the update you can't use any older media. However from what you said- it doesn't match up- you said you have already used 2.0 media sucessfully. Unless oddly enough the "new" dvd media you picked up are pre-2.0 and the AO5 you have already has the firmware update. That would explain it- but it's a stretch.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #4
Tourist

I am using a Sony DRU 500 burner. Using some lower end burner software but results are excellent. I am buying DVD-R from shop4tech.com. You can get 50 DVD-R for $79 currently. I do not know what the brand name is but having good results. No reason to spend $3 per DVD.
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Some where there was a comparison of the compatability of various brands of media across a mix of DVD players. I am sure the data is a little out of date now, but the top 2 most compatable brands were TDK and Maxell at around 75%-80%. One things I woudl watch is staty away from various ads that say liek TDK Unbranded or Maxell unbranded. All this means is that the third party that makes the TDK or Maxell is making other unbranded to similar specs. Meritline.com is notorious for this deceptive practice and the unbranded are nto the same as the branded. I know only buy TDK or Maxell BRANDED media and have had great success!
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Only use Maxell DVD-R brand on Sony's DRU 500 (external) burner.
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #7
Major Player

A-05

I use only Pioneer or Apple blank media for use outside of my PC or my home DVD player.

Both have good compatability with other DVD players IMO.
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Maxell or Apple 2X

First of all media is constantly changing. You need DVDINFO to read the manufacturer's code off the media.

Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia to download.

I am using Maxell 2X ($20 the 5 pack at Staples) or Apple 2X ($15 the 5 pack at Compusa). They are the same media, MXL RG01 (use ADVDINFO option 0E - Prerecorded Information in Leadin).

This media has given me the best overall luck when distributing to clients (not perfect mind). Maxell also claims to have superior archival characteristics.

-Tom-
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Thought this might interest some of you - for those who like Pioneer but want DVD+RW, it looks like Pioneer's gonna include support for both formats in their next burner. Check out the DVR-A06.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Might you have a problem that has nothing whatsoever to do with the media? It's not a bad idea to run a test cut with a DVD-RW to make sure you have everything correct before burning to a -R
KennJ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC