Detecting Audio frame rate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1
New Boot

Detecting Audio frame rate

How can I detect the frame rate of an audio file? I received a song as an mp3 and I plan on cutting footage (to be shot) on it. It is a music video so the visuals have to sync with the music track.
Thanks!
Oliver Ojeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Oliver, welcome to DVi.

I am not sure I understand your question - frame rate reffers to video and not audio. What do you exactly mean?
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Oliver, welcome to DVi.

I am not sure I understand your question - frame rate reffers to video and not audio. What do you exactly mean?
Hey Ervin,
well lets say you create a composition in after effect with 60fps as its frame sampling rate, your audio will play distorted, which means audio has a frame rate lower than that one. I tried it with a song I ripped off of a CD. It plays fine on 24fps even 25fps. When I jump to 30, it starts getting distorted. At 60fps, forget it.
Thanks
Oliver Ojeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Again, frame rate cannot refer to audio - audio has no frames. Are you talking about sample rate? Your wording "video sampling rate" makes me think you don't have a clear understanding of video frame rate and audio sampling rate.

What you may be experiencing is inadequate audio sample rate - commercial audio CDs have a sample rate of 44.1KHz while video works with audio at 32KHz or 48KHz. But any decent NLE should convert the sample rate automatically when you import the audio clip - so I am still confused. When you start your project what template do you choose in your NLE?

Can you elaborate on this "distorted" audio? What does it sound like?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC