eSATA External Hard Drive Adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

eSATA External Hard Drive Adapters

I recently got a 500 GB eSATA Seagate external hard drive. The problem I have is that I don't have any extra slots in my computer to install the PCI eSATA card. I therefore have no way to hook up the eSATA cable to my computer. So, I started searching for adapters. The vague instruction manual for my hard drive said that "You may need to install a PCI eSATA host adapter, if your system does not have one." I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Through internet searches, I found the USB to SATA (Serial ATA) Converter Kit, which is supposed to work for any 3.5" SATA hard drive. Here's one website that had it: http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.n...tasatousb.html I was wondering if this adapter or perhaps a simliar one would work for my situation or if I simply bought the wrong type of hard drive? Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Tristan Howard
Tristan Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Trustee

This approach negates the advantage of eSATA and will leave you only with the speed of any USB external disk. I would have a serious look at all the cards currently installed and their function. Maybe you have a sound card installed. You could consider pulling that and use on board sound. Maybe you have a PCI fire wire card installed. Do you need it? Would on board fire wire be sufficient?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Harm,

Thanks for the information. I figured I'd lose the speed advantage. All I want is a way to back up my files and I'm not too concerned with speed. Unfortunately, I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I think I'll stick with all my cards and just get an adapter.

Regards,
Tristan
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Trustee

Another option: Upgrade.

In a similiar situation on an old pc, I had a two channel promise ATA 133 PCI board for extra ATA drives. I swapped that out for a four channel eSATA PCI and purchased two bridge adaptors for the ATA's and had two ports available for external eSATA drives.

BTW I also house the sata drives in the Icy Dock enclosures. They are fanless, but well designed and keep the drives cool.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The USB converter kit I got is worthless as none of its connectors fit into my external hard drive and it appears as if I need the driver card. Are there any adapters that would work for my situation without me having to use the card that came with the supposedly external hard drive?
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I ended up taking out an internet card and the hard drive works fine.
Tristan Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC