How to deepen 'black' at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player

How to deepen 'black'

I shot some footage which is pretty dark (mood) but a bit too dark. I upped the lightness and contrast, but the black still looks a little washed out, but the brightness level is perfect now. How can I ramp the black back to being black.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't know what NLE you are using, so it's impossible to give a detailed answer, but basically, by raising the brightness, you raise the luminance of the whole picture, and can bring the black level too high. Look for "black level" or "setup" in your colour corrector, and try lowering it.

Or instead of using the brightness control, play with the "gamma" instead. This will leave your black and white levels the same, but adjust the distribution of luminance values in between.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Sharpen the contrast too can help.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC