What is a Thumbs file? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is a Thumbs file?

I have noticed when looking at hidden OS files in some of my PC's directories, not necessarily OS (c drive) directories, there are files with the little gear icons on them and the files are called thumbs. What are these files used for?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Thumbs.db is a small file that caches thumbnail images. That way, when you get to that specific directory, thumbnails appear more quickly. They're never larger than a few kb, and you can delete them if you want. They're not crucial or important. In fact, you can easily set up Windows to not create any new thumbs.db files.

-Open up My Computer
-Click on tools -> Folder Options
-Click on the View tab
-Check the box that says "Do Not Cache Thumbnails"
-Click OK or Apply to all Folders
and you're done!
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Now that is very interesting. The only reason they concerned me was because they showed up unhidden in my web server's directories when I uploaded entire folders at once and not individual images/files but were hidden on my PC. Then I was able to see them on my PC when unhiding OS files. I didn't know if they were critical OS files or not. Thanks for the quick reply and explanation!
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Major Player

You're welcome!

I had the same question a few years ago when I saw those same thumbs.db files pop up on my zip disks. I kept deleting them, and they kept coming back! Thankfully, I've learned a thing or two since, so I'm not as concerned when I see 'em.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC