Quad-Core Q6600 2.4GHz 775 overclocked (How fast is still stable) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Quad-Core Q6600 2.4GHz 775 overclocked (How fast is still stable)

Has anyone overclocked the Quad-core Q6600 2.4GHz 775? If so, how fast have you been able to push it and still maintain system stability? And what NLE are use using?
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Stability will depend on your particular system... a lot of it is luck of the draw. A lot of it also depends on what cooling you are using.

2- Try downloading stress test programs like stressprime95.

3- In my experience your system can still be unstable even if it passes prime95. For example, my system will just reboot itself every once in a while when overclocked.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi GLenn,

I have heard of systems like mine being clocked at over 4GHz with the right cooling. In this case there is a liquid heat exchange system. I believe the voltage supplied to the CPU (ie 2.6 - 2.8, etc) also makes a difference.I know the bios has a pre-set OC option from which I can simply go up or down as the need may be.

In addition I am looking at

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600 Quad Core Processor
EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual DVI Video
4GB DDR2 800 Memory 4-4-4-12
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Instead of overclocking, consider a dual Xeon quad core system, like for instance two 5355 CPU's. Over clocking is OK for a hobbyist, but not in a production environment, where the occasional crash can be a disaster to meet your dead lines.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Flynn View Post
Hi GLenn,

I have heard of systems like mine being clocked at over 4GHz with the right cooling. In this case there is a liquid heat exchange system. I believe the voltage supplied to the CPU (ie 2.6 - 2.8, etc) also makes a difference.I know the bios has a pre-set OC option from which I can simply go up or down as the need may be.

In addition I am looking at

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600 Quad Core Processor
EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual DVI Video
4GB DDR2 800 Memory 4-4-4-12
you can overclock your system using the Zalman 9700 heatsink with proper airflow. Using that sink you can kick to 3.1GHz and still maintain stability but I have seen people go even higher but I would not recommend it.

3.1GHz is very good for a quad system and especially software that utilizes more than 2cores(CS3).
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Major Player

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is a better (the best air cooling heatsink actually) than the Zalman 9700. Use a fan like the Scythe S-Flex 1200 or 1600 RPM fans with it to achieve max cooling.

With the X6800, people were able to achieve 3.94ghz stable overclock (3.90ghz is average for other HSFs). Of course this isn't a quad core and it started with a much higher clock speed of 2.93ghz, but still.

With a starting clock speed of 2.4ghz, I'd say 3.1ghz is only a modest overclock.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Instead of overclocking, consider a dual Xeon quad core system, like for instance two 5355 CPU's. Over clocking is OK for a hobbyist, but not in a production environment, where the occasional crash can be a disaster to meet your dead lines.
I agree. I would not recommend overclocking for a production environment. I have a quadcore at work and although I have a liquid cooling system, I do not have the overclocking turned on in the BIOs. Just with the raw power of the Quad Core (a 6800 in my case) I am extremely satisfied. I am looking forward to PPCS3, but with the beta of After Effects CS3 I am just blown away at how much more quickly I can render my segments. I'd see how well you feel the processor is handling at default first.
Jeff Mahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #8
Major Player

I have a QX6800... and if you want to overclock.. you better have some serious cooling. These suckers RUN HOT! My idle temps are 73C and full load temps are upper 80's. No need for a room heater in the winter, just keep your PC on.. it will blow hot air all day and night. I would never overclock these suckers just for that reason. And I use a Thermalright SI, ceramics, 120mm fans, etc. Think twice.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #9
Major Player

The best overclocking heatsink is Scythe Ninja.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Major Player

Not true. The Thermalright Ultra 120 and Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme have both beat the Ninja, but only by a hair. The Ninja is excellent, but it no longer holds the crown.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC