is there a dedicated forum for 3D here @DVI? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:27 PM   #1
Trustee

is there a dedicated forum for 3D here @DVI?

now i know we probably don't have enough 3D modelers/animators/etc. to warrant one but i think there are more and more people everyday (like me) who are interested in learning 3D modeling/painting/rendering and finally compositing in visual FX into our low-budget whoo ha's.

anyone else doing that now? creating some really nice scenes in computer generated image and then integrating it into short movie?

would you like to see a forum dedicated to that with lists to tutorials and tips and such?
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:53 PM   #2
New Boot

Hi! I'm the lead 3D artist on Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. I've been lurking around for a while on this forum, as I'm planning to get a DVX100a. A forum for VFX and logo's might be kind of cool.

Mike
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:16 PM   #3
Trustee

"Graphics, Animation and 3D"

I'd also like to see a forum, but I'd personally prefer a "Graphics, Animation and 3D" or something like that..

I'm trying to learn After Effects, and I'd also like to learn more about Photoshop than what I know already. It seems to me that an overall graphics forum would be very useful!

Hey Yi - how's it going? Yi came over to my Studio for a filmmakers networking party recently. Go Boston filmmakers!

Murph
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:02 PM   #4
Trustee

hi Chris! when's the next event? i really enjoyed the last time but i think the next one should be more focused on getting something rolling. a shoot perhaps?

hi michael!!! i haven't seen andromda but i think it's really kewl to have people like you onboard so we can ask you questions and you can be our teacher!!! =^).
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you're looking for a professional CG community, try cgnetworks.com. They have an extensive forum for just about every imaginable 3d toolset, as well as a monthly newsletter. I'm just a hobbyist, but I find a lot of useful info on the forums.

It would definitely be cool to see a forum on DVInfo devoted to DV-specific issues compositing 3d and live DV, producing eyecatches and logo sequences for DV projects, and so forth. Just a thought.
Ryan Spicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm a freelance video producer and CG artist in the Philadelphia area, and I'm studying/practicing to get more towards Michael's level. (Some really nice visuals in that show, BTW. I'm going to have to watch a few episodes more closely now so I can ask some semi-intellegent questions about the shots. :) )

I think it would be great to have a board here for these topics. Many of the effects and techniques can be fairly platform and (to some degree) software independant but I would agree that "CG" or "3D" would be too small of a niche for this forum.

Animation, 3D, Compositing, matte painting and much more would be fit into a broader category like "Post Production Visual Effects" or something to that effect. (no pun intended)
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:03 PM   #7
Trustee

well that's what i meant... but it didn't come out this way. that's why i wanted to sound you guys out.

we KIND OF have that in the NLE section of PCs/MAC but not specific enough.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, NLE is editing.
There's a seperate board for DVD/Web.
I'm in agreement with your initial post that visual effects related post production could warrent its own board too.

I'm curious to hear how many other videographers and such here use "extra" non-editing & authoring software and techniques in their post production process.

In my own region, it seems to be very limited, if used at all, which is a bit surprising to me given what viewers are exposed to in the movies and on TV.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:30 PM   #9
Trustee

on the other hand we ARE a DV-focused board primarily. i think 3D, animation/compositing probably already belong to certain boards that are specifically dedicated. we're spread thin already...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC