DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   A few questions from another newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/9816-few-questions-another-newbie.html)

Jeff Troiano May 19th, 2003 01:20 PM

A few questions from another newbie

Hi everyone, new to all this NLE stuff, but learning alot from everyone here. Been bit by the DV but pretty bad, and am in the process of building a dedicated NLE, and upgrading to a pro-sumer camera. Decided I was going going to build my computer first before I bought the camera, becuse if I got the camera first, what was I going to process all the suff I shoot on? I have a couple of question about 2 different things, hope maybe some one could help me out.

The first is in regards to DVD authoring. I filmed some stuff of a rock band I am with, using a cheapo Sony digital8. Nothing spectacular, but came out ok. I edited 4 songs, and sycned everything up with their CD. Things came out ok, they are using 2 of the songs for a promotion DVD that goes out with their press kit. I used Pinnacle Studio version 8 to do all the editing (learned alot about NLE, looking forward to moving on to a more advanced program as soon as I get the computer built). I created a simple dvd menu with in this program, and then have been rendering straight to DVD. Is this the best way to do this? I've noticed that when I put the DVD in my DVD player it seems to take alot longer than a normal DVD to load, after that things seem to run normal with the exception of fast forward or reverse, if I try to use more than a 2x fast forward it stops the dvd and takes me back top the menu. I have the Sony external dvd-r/dvd-rw dvd+r/dvd+rw burner, and I haven't tried any of the programs that came with it. Am I rendering in the best possible way? What is the advantages of using a straight dvd authoring program? and if I do do that, what do I render as in Pinnicale to use in another programe? I'm not sure I've been very clear about everything, and I hope someone understands what I'm getting at.

I plan on buying Vegas 4 + DVD when the time comes, along with alot of other programs I would like to learn, but right now we are sending out the DVDs so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Well, I think theres alot here so I will post my other question in another thread (it has to do with sound cards, and mixing multi track sound)

Thanks for all the help

Jeff Troiano

Rob Lohman May 20th, 2003 03:48 PM

Usually DVD players take indeed a bit longer to load DVD-R/+R.
Probably because they have to check for each and every format
before accepting it.

Whether or not this straight to DVD work depends on what you
work best. Some people use all in one packages, other use a
bundle (Like Vegas 4 + DVD Architect) and others use different
components for editing, mpeg2 encoding, authoring and burning.

I suggest you download demos of products you find interesting
and try those out before you buy!