NTSC to PAL conversion software...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NTSC to PAL conversion software...?

Anyone here know of an NTSC-to-PAL program (software) on the PC side that is on a par with Natress Effects' program for the Mac? And, of course, where I might get it, cost, etc....Client in U.K. (my first there) wants everything in PAL. I thought that most of the DVD players and TVs there played both formats, but these folks tell me that such is not the case.

Thank you.

Tom Kaminski
Avian Video Center
Tom Kaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Atlantis worked very well for me. You can download a free trial and see what you think. There's a Mac as well as PC version: http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Some advice (been there, got the T-Shirt)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kaminski View Post
Anyone here know of an NTSC-to-PAL program (software) on the PC side that is on a par with Natress Effects' program for the Mac? And, of course, where I might get it, cost, etc....Client in U.K. (my first there) wants everything in PAL. I thought that most of the DVD players and TVs there played both formats, but these folks tell me that such is not the case.
Well, a couple of things. I came across this issue after I did my first DVD film. We had used our duplication house to do VHS conversion to PAL, I had to figure this out on my own for DVD.

At the time (2002) I tried a variety of the NTSC->PAL conversion tools, none of which produced what I considered an acceptable result. I wound up just using my NLE... Vegas with supersampling enabled, and a few other setup tweaks, delivered the best NTSC to PAL conversion I found. The only downside was CPU time... it took 8 and and half days to render a PAL DV file from the NTSC originals.

It is, however, true that it's virtually impossible to sell a DVD player in the UK without NTSC (and region 1) support. Technically speaking, many of these will produce a "PAL60" output... that's 60i video, but with PAL rather than NTSC color encoding. It's also the case that both PAL60 and NTSC are popularly supported on UK televisions, but that's not 100%.

I think about 25% of the DVDs I've sold to Europe are NTSC, based on the fact I'm selling to techies, and many of them judge NTSC originals playable and likely to be better than PAL conversions. On the other hand, distributers only want PAL, because they KNOW it'll work.
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Atlantis

Atlantis work really well for me so I second the Atlantis conversion tool.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #5
Tourist

1. Audio/video sync problem

well I am converting using the imtoo DVD ripper platinum, I have been working for about a week now and yet when I watch the video (mp4) on my video ipod or my blackberry 8830 the audio place about 1 second before the mouth actually moves, anyone else with this similar issue or anyone know how to fix it???
Hekey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Tourist

2. Forcing widescreen movies into full screen

I want to rip the movie Domino and put it on my iPod, but the movie is in widescreen! Is there anyway that I can rip it in full screen so that I can watch it on my iPod?

I use ImTOO DVD to iPod Converter
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #7
Tourist

You can just check the site http://www.cucusoft.software-com.com/ and I’m sure you would find the best solution.
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #8
Tourist

I had similar problem and tried various software and downloads from internet. Finally, I found a site www.cucusoft.software-com.com which gave me the best solution for it.
Hope this helps.
Hekey Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC