uleadvs10, play back is "slow", never had a problem b4. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 12th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

uleadvs10, play back is "slow", never had a problem b4.

I have ulead video studio 10, and i've used it for alot of my basically editing, for a long time, and i've NEVER once had playback problems, now all of the sudden I am, it plays back in like .. slow motion, somewhat jerky, and I cannot edit like this, I need to actually be able to see it in real time.. It will play back "clips" fine, but when I hit Project, which will play everything from beginning to end, it suddenly won't play back correctly. I'd appreciate any held on this matter.
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jenna...............

If the problem has "suddenly" appeared it would be worth going back over any changes you have made to your pc, including new/ changed software.

The first thing I would do is check the hard drive(s) for space and fragmentation, once Windows gets past a certain percentage of available space it goes into "slow mo mode". Remove anything not required and do a comprehensive de - frag.

If that doesn't fix it, then it seems likely that a new piece of software or an update to Windows is the culprit. If you've recently installed new software it may be worth un - installing it again to see if that clears the problem. You may need to re - install Ulead if one of the "common files" it uses has been overwritten/ corrupted by a new install.

Another common problem can be auto Windows updates, if you have this set on then a "bug fix" may have installed itself and kyboshed something. Go to Control Panel, click on "Add & Remove Programs" and click in the box labeled "Show Updates". That will list any Windows updates and when they were installed. Make a note of any that fit the time frame and un - install them.

Last but not least - If you are on Broadband, click on the monitors icon and when it comes up with the banner, click on "Disable". Then go to "Start", click on "Run", type in "msconfig" and hit enter. Click on the "Startup" tab, click on "Disable All". It will tell you it needs to re - boot. Do so.

When your system comes back up it will give you a banner muttering something about "changeing the configuration..............". Just kill it (the banner, not the machine).

You now have none of the "Startup" apps running, just in case one of them is causing the problem.

[The reason for killing the network connection is that this procedure will disable your anti - virus and firewall to boot, you do not want to be on - line without those running]

If your system still won't play ball, I've just about run out of ideas.

Let me know if any of the above does the job.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

k i did a defrag and a disk "clean up" and that seems to have helped.. it still plays back funky sometimes.. but for the most part it plays back okay. Still frustrated that i couldn't use my higher end editing softwares like vegas or premiere pro.. but i'm comfortable with ulead and good editing doesn't really depend on the software.. it depends on the editor.. and for the most part. i think i'm good with editing.. so i think i'll do okay in ulead.. besides i hate fancy transitions and effects.. i like things to stay more natural.. the only transitions i really use is fade to back or crossfade.. and sometimes i'll throw in a "flashback" (very seldom) ...

thanks for you help though.. i really appreciate it!
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi again.........

You may find that if you do the "kill the startups" thing it will improve playback greatly. Hey, you might even be able to run those other edit suites you mentioned. Depends on just what your pc has under the hood tho'.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC